HybridZ

Australia... 260z, VL... HOW!??!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, ive read so much stuff from here for so many weeks, and all i get is confused!!!

i live in Australia, and Commodore VL engines are cheap as cheap... but...

I have a 260z 5x man, the engine is pretty dead, and i want to know what is the easiest way, and cheapest, to whack a nice, newer, cheaper to run, smoother etc engine (VL engine?) in?

in simpleton terms please!!!

what would i need to change? i dont want to have to make any mounts for anything,

so if i bought....

Commodore VL complete 3ltr EFI Motor & drivetrain, Radiator to Diff, Everything included, can see running, ono -$500

could i just stick it in?

which parts do i place in?

i dont really wnat to MAKE any engine mounts

dont want to make a tranny or gearbox mount either, can i connect the VL engine straight to my old 5speed and have it work???

Please help me, the more i read, the more i get confused!!!

Thanks,

Adam

Guest Anonymous

ok, i forgot to add, if the VL engine wont go straight in, what will?

i just want a cheap engine upgrade, not necessarily performance increase, im just looking for a really reliable, injected, easy to start, runs well engine that can be "swapped" with the standard engine easily...

thanks again!

Guest Anonymous

Adam...you may have to wait for another member from down under to answer swap questions since I have no idea what a VL engine is. Keep trying since it is Saturday night. We may speak the same language but the terms get confusing

Guest Anonymous

the rb30 is a slightly different engine to the other RBs.. its only a single cam as well..

from what i recall its a fair bit 'taller' then the rb20 and especially the 26 (which is the shortest of the bunch yeah?) so it might be a fair assumption to say it'd be a bit harder to install

it definitely wont mate up with a L28 box - your best bet would be an rb 5spd box (they're awesome gearboxes anyways)

these things are quite common in oz and many workshops (rajab etc) can make INSANE power figures out of them

course.. you might wanna hold off for a while. .the new ford 4 litre V6 twin cam turbo engine will be released soon ;)

Guest empracing

man i've seen a couple of vl motors in z's even turbo ones it bolts in with those rb20 powered z31 mounts but i dont think youll find any also you need a differnt sump its not really worth it in the end unless you go for the turbo and then the gearbox is differant and so on get a l28e from a 280zx and be done with it its the only ez way to get efi in a z ive done it and its hell simple until i blew it up with my lead foot