HybridZ

Chevy or Buick V-6's

Guest Z-rific

Guest Z-rific

For all of you who know about this engine swap (into a 280) I'm looking for advice. I have checked the archives, but still am undecided.

I'm either going to build up the L28, or do an engine swap. I'm not wild about the expense and limitations of the L28, so I'm leaning toward the swap.

I would prefer the lighter weight V-6 (as opposed to a V-8)and am not looking for anything over about 250 hp. Ideally I would like to run a NA V-6, with a simple carb setup and no emission controls. I want simple and easy. (Not a fan of FI either. I know it runs better than carbs, but I just love carbs.)

I've worked on small blocks and am comfortable with V engines.

If I find a running V-6, Buick or Chevy, does the majority of work involve block mounts, driveshaft work and other minor details? Or is it much more difficult than I'm thinking.

I have the JTR manual, but it seems to go into a lot of things that don't look necessary. Am I fooling myself here? I'm concerned about things such as fabricating carb linkages.

I have access to just about all the tools necesary. And I have friends very experienced in welding.

Ideally, I would like to drop the engine in without any performance mods, and bolt on mods afterwards (intake, exhaust, etc.)

Guest Anonymous

John Scott did a 4.3 chevy v6 into a first gen Z. He's now going 383 v8, but it was a nice swap. He had his supercharged. The front mounts would need to be fabbed, the back JTR style mount would work fine. Esentially it would be a V8 chevy with 2 cylinders knocked off. The buick obviously done very well by Scottie-GNZ (GN turbo buick motor). John's car was carb'ed btw, Scottie's is FI. It'd make a nice compact swap IMHO with reasonable HP.

Regards,

Lone

If you are going NA, I would definately go with the Chevy. More cubes, More potential. Good ol' 350 pistons, rods, rings, lifters, etc. all fitting in the motor is a nice plus as well. 2thumbs.gif

Check out the August and September '02 Hot Rod Magazines. In August, they built up a carbed, 4.3L, and got around 350 HP (I think). They told all the best years/cars to scavenge parts off of, and things to look out for. In Sept., they added a centripetal supercharger with a carb enclosure, and got arount 500 HP. Big $$$ though.

I thought long and hard about doing the 3.8 v6 from a 96-97 Firebird or Camaro. 200hp and they are available with the world class 5 speed. The buick makes more hp than the chevy, but displacement is in the chevy's favor. It was not available in cars with a manual trans, but it was in S10 and fullsize trucks , but the shifter is in the wrong place. Besides, with the Buick you get SMPFI vs. either TBI or CPI injection with the 4.3. You also get the Electromotive style 3 coil ignition.

Guest Z-rific

Aside from the actual engine work, which I am pretty decent at, what little problems can I expect to run into.

Fabricating new motor mounts should be okay. What about carb linnkage, master cylinder compatibility, starter sizes, etc? Do you alter the datsun driveshaft or use a chevy driveshaft and alter the rear end joint?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I definitely like the idea of a 275 horsepower V6 in a 2800 pound car.

The Buick pretty much drops right in. Confer with Scottie GNZ on details. I would use the GM driveshaft and the Neapco adapter. I would buy a low mileage 96-97 3.8 from the Camaro/firebird. Add a cam and good exhaust and you should be able to get 230 hp or so. Very reliabley. In 1998 they swithced to drive by wire, but the earlier motors use a cable. Get the JTR manual, because throttle, driveshaft, exhaust, suspension, etc. are all pretty much the same for a small block. The book is well worth it for all of the other stuff.