HybridZ

83 280ZX SBC Rear End Squat

Just got my 83ZX on the road, and as expected, have a lot of rear end squat under accelleration. What brands/part#s of springs and struts have you "ZX" guys used to improve that problem? My application is more straight line accelleration as opposed to cornering. I'd really like to keep the ride height as close stock as possible, and am looking for a compromise solution in handling and ride-ability. R front and rear strut tower braces worth the effort? Thanks for all the help over the last several months to get this thing on the road.

Dan

Guest Anonymous

um that sit down is a good thing it keeps the tires from brakeing lose now true tomuch can be bad but if your tires arnt bottoming out then there should be no problem i like the sit down so much on the 73 im geting i have to run a taller tire because there so wide :note 15x12`s cant get smaller thant a 255/55/r15: im cuting the wheel flairs off oh well all personal prefrance

If you're mainly into straightline performance and therefore reducing squat is your prime interest, I'd agree with your plan and do springs first (assuming struts are adequate). What torque/power is your setup again? I run 250lb/in out back and it's very tolerable IMO, a lot LESS squat than my former TRW's. Still some but I don't think you could decrease it much more and have the suspension function much. TRW's are bolt on and cheap but I doubt they're stiff enough for you ($55US/pr). Eibach progressive OEM replacements (ie. not coilovers) I"m not familiar with but if they're similar to their Z offerings most feedback I've received is they're soft. Another option is coilovers at $200 for the rear. You can choose your spring rate, I'd reccomend from 225-250lb/in and a 8" spring. 280ZX coilovers perches are not a shelved item and are typically made for 8" springs which place you (I'm guessing here) 3/4" or so below stock height. I'm looking at custom (sometimes a simple camaro or corvette with boltons would be appreciated...custom is fun and tiring!) altered perches to allow longer springs. I've got strut tower to firewall braces up front, but I've yet to go straight across. My setup also has swaybars front/rear which greatly stiffened the body response and reduced flex.

any q's feel free......I haven't had time to detail the coilover stuff on my web yet, standard pricing of $400/4 corners or $200/2 corners. Sleeve lengths can vary up to 7" to meet customers needs for (4-5" sleeves standard).

PS not sure if it was clear that I am running an '80 280ZX with 350sbc... coilovers/illuminas/16x8's/lsd/swaybars/13" discs, not too many of us playing hard with 280ZX's so great to see another one around! (PS we had a skiff of snow today, interesting icon_eek.gif )

Ross:

Thanks for the good info/suggestions. Struts are new, so I'll start looking at springs. My setup is a crate 350/385 H.P. Got the "hot-cam" 430 H.P. kit, but will wait until next spring to put that in. Understand what you are saying about non-functioning suspension. I'd like to keep it as "ride-able" as possible and that obviously means compromise on handling. I do appreciate the info! I'll have to check out your WEB site. I'll let you know when I post some pictures of my 83.

Trying to sort out a charging problem right now. Got it hooked up per JTR; the thickest ZX white wire running the external plug (back) of my 1 wire, and the thick wire running from the alt pigatil plug the the battery + post, but it's still not charging. The alternator is good, and so is the battery??? Battery charge lasts for about 15 minutes, so I haven't had a chance to see how the crate motor even runs yet.

Sounds like you have an awsome set-up. How long have you had it together? Any 1/4 mile times? What is your engine H.P.? No snow here in Dayton, Ohio yet. It's been in the 60's!

Dan

Guest Anonymous

HEY I GOT READ OF THE SQUAT AND I WOULDENT GO BACK..... and i would have sworn i would never go with out the squat any ways get your selfe some spring separators the bolt in kind and bam its all dun and cost me 5 dollars icon_razz.gif oh well who would have known