HybridZ

13b or 20b anyone?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey guys,

If you aren't familar with that engine code, the 13b is the code for the fd3s, 93+ rx7 (a TT two rotor) and the 20b is the engine code for a 3 rotor. I know rotary motors have sort of a bad name (my two best friends drive FDs, so i know all about the engine popping drama), but they are super for making power and -very- small. I figure the swap to a 13b would be very easy and since it's a project car you can afford the time to build the fuel system and apex seals to be able to hold 20+ PSI. a 13b can throw down 400 rwhp and still pass texas state imspection. with a nice t66 or t78 you could put down 450rwhp to the ground. The idea of the 20b scares me.. they start off with retarded amounts of torque NA and we all know rotary motors were meant to be turboed smile.gif Any thoughts? ideas? has it been done? is it harder than it seems or just too risky?

20b came in japan only car rx7s i think.

13b, you can get those anywhere, with a turbo they are ferocious. ive now had four turbo 2's in the past two months, one of which had a 13btt in it that we had boosting 20 or more psi-(we had the stock guage pinned at 40 psi but that cant be right) and it was scary fast. a single turbo 13b is quick, besides driving them and liking them a little. i dont like rotaries-they are too foreign for my pushrod and now overhead cam caveman brain.

A 20B or a 13B Turbo would be a sick swap for sure in a Z. The idea of a 20b Turbo would be simply exotic and a beast for sure - like you say FreewayZ the torque would pickup the car and make it walk.

I have seen lots of 13b rotaries in 510 Datsuns but never in a Z.

If you want to see an awesome 20b website go to: www.3rotor.com

FYI Len - the 20b came only in the JDM Mazda Cosmos and they were all autos, but the 5 speed off the FC and FDs bolt right up to them.

Yasin

Guest Anonymous

http://www.corksport.com/ is a good place for getting rotory motors... they are very cheap 20b for $4k + a little bit of tuning and your looking at 300+ rwhp/ft-lb to torque and a very high reving beast. It woudl take some fabrication.. i want to find the demension of the motor to see if it oculd fit into a Z.

if anyone has any ideas about this let me know

also anyone in the DFW area... if i decide to do this swap and you are instred in helping out post.

thanks

some day when i get some money i want a 20bt in my z.the sand rail guys in socal run lots of mazda rotorys.i found a company that makes a bell housing for borg t5 to mazda.i have heard a 20b nonturbo run at thunder hill.it sound like a f1 car-or like a needle tickling your ear drum.i ahve a sand rail magazine with a turbo 20b running 560 hp on only 12 psi boost.

Guest 81na ZX
Originally posted by FreewayZpeed:

hey guys,

If you aren't familar with that engine code, the 13b is the code for the fd3s, 93+ rx7 (a TT two rotor) and the 20b is the engine code for a 3 rotor.

Actually, the 13b is out of the RX-3, FB RX-7 GSL-SE, FC RX-7, FD RX-7 and Cosmos.

The 13b was carbbed in RX-3s - HP unkown by me

13b (regular) was in GSL-SEs and NA FCs - ~135hp - ~180ish

13B-RE was in the Cosmo - Got me?

13B-T was in the Turbo IIs - 160-200hp

13B-REW was in FDs - 255hp IIRC

They are tiny, a 12A is ~10" long from front cover to bell housing. 13b's are about .5" longer. 20B's are considerably longer, but still fit in an AE-86(toyota) in place of a 4A-GE (1.6L 4)

Guest Anonymous

I went to Sevenstock 5, back in late September. I think a supercharged 20b was the coolest sound I've ever heard. So now my dream Z choice is harder, twin turbo or supercharged 20B?

Guest Anonymous

Eric Z.. the Vello Rossa manual shows a Mazda rotary in a Vello Rossa Z owned by Jim Potts. The mount connected to the rotary engine appears to be a welded 3 piece boomerang shaped flat bar of about 3/8 inch thickness spanning across the Z car's engine mount towers on the front cross member and bolting solidly in the middle of the boomerang shape by 4 bolts to the Mazda engine.The boomerang shaped span appears to have some kind of rectangular cushioned motor mounts bolted on each end to the Z's front crossmember engine mount towers.Looks like a simple fabrication after the rotary is set in a proper location and height behind the the front cross member which should approximate some equal 50/50 weight distribition