HybridZ

RB20DET CONVERSION

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey man, sadly no.. it would not be a direct swap at all.. the vg30det is a V6 3 litre and the RB20det is a straight 6 2 litre!

why do you want to go the swap anyways? the vg30det is a pretty good engine and with the money saved on NOT doing the swap you could probably make the vg30 pull quite a bit of power!

I can't remember the specs of the vg30det off the top of my head.. but doubt they could be much less then an rb20det? especially for low down torque (rb20s are very slow off boost)

if you really want to go ahead with the swap.. i guess the best way to go would be to find some 200ZR engine mounts, that way you can at least get the rb20det in there.. even better would be a front cut with gearbox/computer/etc .. as you're going to need all of it! (pretty sure the vg gearbox doesnt mate up too well with an rb)

if you cant get your hands on any genuine 200ZR stuff.. its all gonna have to be custom i guess - which aint fun on the wallet!

also while on the topic of wallet.. where are you? If you're in the states it may become very hard / expensive to find parts for the rb engine if things go wrong at any stage.. they're extremely robust engines.. but things can still go wrong/need replacing!

to make things a bit more worth while.. put in an rb25det.. very nice torque/power curve and suits heavier cars!

hope that helps a bit man - good luck!

Guest Anonymous

I OWN A 1986 300ZX TURBO AND WOULD LIKE TO SWAP THE VG30DET MOTOR FOR THE RB20DET MOTOR, LIKE THE 200ZR. SINCE THE 200ZR AND THE 300ZX IS THE SAME CAR WOULD THE RB20DET MOTOR BE A DIRECT SWAP??. IF NOT DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT WOULD HAVE TO BE CUSTOM MADE?.

Guest Anonymous

I AM FROM BROOKLYN, N.Y. I WANTED TO DO THE SWAP BECAUSE MY VG30DET MOTOR HAS A LOUD KNOCK. IT SOUNDS LIKE A JACKHAMMER HITTING A STEEL PLATE ( REALLY LOUD ). THE MOTOR STARTS AND RUNS. THE REBUILD WOULD COST AROUND $2500.00, I CAN GET THE RB20DET MOTOR SET FOR ABOUT 1,200 (MOTOR, ECU, TRANNY). I DONT KNOW THE CONDITION OF THIS SET. AND THE MORE I TALK TO PEOPLE THE MORE I HEAR THAT ITS NOT WORTH IT. SO I WILL STICK TO THE VG30DET. THANKS GUYS