HybridZ

Bob H and others, question :D

Guest ON3GO

Well I took what you said to heart, and I understood what u said about say 5 to 6k for just a RB26, and say another 4 to 5K to get the motor in the car, and im guessing thats doing the work yourself...which im doing.

With that taken to heart and that leaving me say 5K left for the rest of the car, I started looking around.

Now i know your gonna say "you change your mind WAY to much".. BUT like you said, you must deal with the structure of the car 1st, before you look into getting the car into the 11's. heck even 12's.

Now I looked threw some threads about the 1JZ, and i found on the net a 1JZ front clip with a 5-speed tranny and all for under 2K shipped. Now with that taken to mind, and say even with that motor ya still need to spend 4 to 5k to get it in the car...that still leaves me with 2 or even more grand to play with.

NOW, if the 1JZ is as good as the 2JZ and how everybody else says it is, then would I be better off going with this motor, sense i save a extra 2k so i can put toward a good rear end and suspension, and whatever else i need?

or would it end up costing me more in the long run because it would be harder and more money to get parts for it and make it have the HP i want later down to road?

Please let me know what would be the better thing to do.

thank you and everybody else that helps out.

mike

Mike,

That one is hard to pin down. You are talking about doing a swap that Noone has succesfully done in the US, and I know of one in Aus.,(the Zoom car).

Not saying it can't be done, for with enough money and brains, you can put anything in a Z. You said you really know the SR motors. And as of now, I know of one Z that has a SR motor in it. And that is second hand knowledge from David K.

But between the 1jz and the SR20? Tough call. The SR20 obviously weighs less and a 240Z you end up buying,(factor in about 1500-2k for a good shell), will weigh in about 2100-2200 lbs. If you were to put 300 to the wheels, that is supercar territory. You know the prices of the SR motors and tranny's,(we'll say you can find one in good shape with lower miles for 2k total). If you are doing the fabrication with your dad, then that cuts down some cost, but we'll again say 3k. So 2k car, 2k motor, 4k fabrication/parts plus ~1k misc. 9k. Stick with the U-joints for now and upgrade the brakes in the rear at a min, $6-800. Fronts, $6-800. New rims and tires, $1500. Upgrade suspension bushings to urathane, a few hundred. A good alignment and you are ready to go. looks like it will work with either the SR or the 1jz. The advantage of the SR is you know it. The advantage of the 1jz is well, I guess it is a 6 cyl and might have more "headroom". Maybe. But it will weigh more and likely be a more involved swap. You want me to throw more in the pot? Remember when 92awdgsx was talking about the 4g motors? 2.4L stroker with 400+ hp coupled to either a Supra Tranny or something similar. That would be different and the parts are readily available, and maybe cheaper. food for thought.

as long as you outline a realistic budget and stick to it, you should be fine no matter which engine you choose. Always, always budget in at least 10% fudge, and a better figure is 15-20%. So if your budget calls for $9000, plan on at least 10k, more like 10.5-11k.

Enjoy.

Bob

well ill be honest, the RB26 is still on top of my list with the SR20 right behind it.

SR20 stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper each day, and parts are easy to find now too.

I do like the idea of the 4g motor but i cant see how that would work with a supra tranny or any other rwd tranny.

plus isnt it a heavy motor? and i know the stroker kit is abit of money but i do like the idea, and if it is abit cheaper and easier then im game.

Thank you for your help.

mike

Bob has some good points as usual. If you are really looking at other alternatives look at Kennedy adapters. They can make all sorts of engine and trans adapters. There are a few co's. here in N.Z and in Aussie that make adapters for the supra box. I have a w55 behind my sbc for example. I think the major difficulty will be electrical. It may pay to stick with something that you can rum with out a aftermarket computer or mabye only a pigy back one on the standard system. What about a after market turbo on the 2.4 lt nissan inline 4. That might be a cheeper option again.

Happy hunting.

Douglas

p.s. I was having a look through a english car mag the other day and was compairing power to weight of the super cars in current prodution. The one with the best ratio was the TVR tuscan s. Weighed 1175kg and had 400 hp. Faster then ferrari's, porsche, lambo, and good for 190mph. I was rather pleased as my 260z has about the same weight and power. Super car indeed.