HybridZ

Engine swap info.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,

I have an 83 Maxima and was wondering how hard it would be to put a SBC in there. I came up with this since it's such a similar engine to the Z cars. Is there anyone out there that did something like this?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Guest Anonymous

Ik,

Used to have a maxima. I remember thinking the engine and tranny would drop right in my Z. I would guess the JTR method would work in this car but not sure about steering and exhaust.

Mark

First of all I don't have any actually experience with a V8 in a Maxima but I do own a Z and a Maxima (yes, basically the same engine) but I can tell you that for some reason there seems to be alot more room underneath a Z hood than in a Maxima. Not to say that it can't be done, but it would be alot tighter in there than a Z I would guess...

While we are on the subject though I do know that you can't just bolt a Z engine in a Maxima or vice-versa. The Z oil pan is shallow at the front and deep in the rear, while a Maxima is just the opposite. If you look at the bottom of a L6 block you will see that there is a spot to bolt up the oil sump and a blank "dummy" spot with no holes. Where the oil sump "would" bolt up if it were designed for use with the other style pan. I could see this being a problem with trying to put a V8 in there as you would have to find a V8 that has a pan that is deep in the front and shallow in the rear. Either that or go with a dry sump system? but that would be alot of extra dollar signs.. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Nion:

Aren't all Maximas FWD...? Or did they switch over a few years ago?

Nion, the original Maxima was actually called the 810 (77-80) with a L24 fuel injected engine. The next generation was the Maxima (81-84) also with the L24i. It wasn't till the third generation that they received the 3.0 V6 with FWD.

quote:

Originally posted by Dave:

Well, If not a small block Chev because of the rear sump what about a small block ford that has a front sump?

Dave...

Hmm, that is an idea, but the car is just begging for a JTR conversion if the engine is a staight six. That would be a BAAAAD little car! I hope someone builds it!

Davy