HybridZ

gear reduction starter improved my starting...

primaz

On my newly finished 71' 240z that is running a Datsun Spirit 2.8 stage II, headers, and rebuilt SU's, the car was not easy to start with the more aggressive cam.  I had a previous engine in another 240Z which was tripple Minuki's and I used a Nissan gear reduction starter and that made a big difference in starting the car especially in cold weather.  I did some searching around online to see what was available and tried the one from Classic Car Performance know for making performance starters for British cars  https://www.classiccarperformance.com/products/datsun-240z-260z-280z-high-torque-starter  which uses 5 roller bearings, and it has made a huge difference in being able to start the car easily in cold weather.  From my experience the more noticeable  advantages of a quality gear reduction starters are when the car is either running a performance cam or triple carbs.  The car starts on the first try which never happened before and with the aggressive cam it a person whom is not familiar with a choke and Z cars would easily flood the engine but now that seems to be a thing of the past.

Datsun 240z 260z 280z High Torque Gear Reduction Starter

Edited by primaz
misspelling
  • Thanks 1