HybridZ

700 hp twin turbo chevy 350

randy 77zt

a friend of mine says this cant be a daily driver.i say this could be done for $10 to $12grand.recipe-get old 4 bolt truck block.get good heads ,all roller valve train,forged blower pistons.put some injectors bosses on victor jr manifold .build exhaust manifoldsget a couple of turbos and a large intercooler and sds system.have a custom cam ground.engine should get 20+ mpg on freeway at 1800 rpm.engine should idle for 2 or 3 hours at a time in hot weather(reno-hot augest nights) with out miss or overheat.engine should start without throttle sitting in snowstorm.the girlfriend or missess should be able to goto store if throttle is not overused with out a phone call.life expectancy 100,000 miles with a full boost evry 25 miles.i think this could be done-if you can get 350 hp from a l28 than a 350 chevy at 16psi should do it.

Yes and no IMHO. Yes, you could get that power. Yes, it could be driveable. Yes, it ought to start and run fine in bad weather. Yeah, the woman could drive it but God help you if for some reason she felt she had to floor it to avoiod an accident - trust me on this. Build in some turbo lag and perhaps that would help. There's at least one site out there with twin turbo Ford motors making sicko' power if you can find it - might be worth reading smile.gif

The only area I'd be less than sure could be done would be the mileage and the cruise at 1800RPM. You might also have trouble getting it to go 100K miles without rebuild.

Build a STRONG bottom end and run highish boost with low RPM - should be fine. In fact I've got a turbo book that details a build that might fit this bill - possibly less HP. The most interesting thing of the build was their first pull on the dyno - engine exploded! The bottom end with pink rods couldn't take the torque and NOTHING was salvagable. Ouch! Do you really NEED 700hp? How will you put it to the ground?

Guest Anonymous

a friend of mine has a Turbo Cavalier 3.1L V-6 running a max of 16 psi of boost and he drives it on the street. now, its not exactly the best street vehicle out there. mainly because the clutch grabs real hard(stage 4 out of 5) and 1st and 2nd gear are useless at full throttle with only 8 psi of boost with runing sticky Yokohoma tires. low rpm is defintely the way to go. my buddy originally had an 8200 rpm redline. after wearing out 3 cams within 6 months e deicded to go with a roller cam. but, the only problem with the roller cam is that it is soo agressive that the car now idles at 1500 rpm. it can't idle any lower otherwise it will shake the car apart. he is running his factory cooling system, heater, A/C, and has not had any over heatig problems. but your cooling system would be determined by what you are going to use the car for.

if i were building up a TT 350 V-8, i'd probably go with T-28s or T-03 turbos to get good boost at or around 2500-3000 rpm. that way you don't have too much low end torque, but at the same time if you want to pass someone just downshift and nail the gas. i'd have the redline at 5500-6000 rpm. the bgi question would be what tranny to put behind it. auto or stick? and if its a stick, what kinda clutch would you use to be able to have good streetability?

btw, here is my buddies website for his turbo Cavalier. www.turboZ24.com

it would use a t56 trans.i am not taliking about drag racing-just a car that you drive to work and floor it on the freeway when you get room.i am building project cars for people as a side job.i have a customer that wants a replica 66 vette with a custom built chassis and all high tech stuff.these type of cars dont get driven much but it doesnt matter.a car isnt good unless it is fun which means it should be easy to use.it would have to have a stout bottem end to not be a bomb.i told my buddy ths would be better than a car with a huge cam thaat doesnt idle.when you get over 40 you no longer want to have to ride a rockit bike to go fast

Aw Scottie - now you've got me thinking! VERY timely thread man! I just wish there was an off the shelf header for this smile.gif I think in the end I'll wind up forced induction - I'm just not sure how yet and I want the car running first! Talk about a conversation piece....

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that was pretty sexist I guess smile.gif My SO just isn't the sort that would appreciate getting sideways down the road. She'll have the Impalla's wheels spinning once inawhile but it's not because she likes it. I've just never been fortunate to run into too many gearhead women and the streotypical female doesn't like noise or burning rubber. I've heard that some do though! (lol)

John, I know what you mean. When my wife drives she is always hoping someone pulls up next to her at the light. However, if your wife/GF is not cognizant of the power under her leg rolleyes.gif..(noflames please, pun intended), then do not let her drive it. And, no, I disagree that turbo lag is better for such a driver. Better for her to feel the torque coming than to have felt it.

As for a 700hp TT being a daily driver, that guy is thinking NA and does not understand turbos. You have to really mess up or badly detune a Buick StageII for it to NOT make 700hp. Remember that HP is there when the turbo(s) is spooling. When it is not, it is just another mild-mannered, low-compression engine, although in the StageIIs low is probably about 9:1.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

[This message has been edited by Scottie-GNZ (edited February 18, 2001).]

I agree on the lag - nothing is worse than hitting boost in the middle of an offramp when you're not expecting it! My RX has a wounded primary turbo right now - at 4200RPM when the secondary kicks in it hits hard enough to cause trouble in a corner. It goes from 6lbs of boost to nearly 12 in the blink of an eye and feels like a NOS hit. Fun and all but the clutch isn't happy and is checking out on me.

A Stage II setup with a nice beefy turbo would be fun. If I felt more comfortable with the GN drivetrain and the plumbingfabrication I wouldn't mind plopping one in a Z myself. Having driven a GN or two I really like them and almost bought one more than once. Talk about smooth powermakers... I guess I'll just have to settle with a V8 and maybe a blower down the road to make up for it!

Guest Fast Frog

Been following this thread. Quite interesting. Has anyone figured out how to twin turbo a V8Z without tearing up and rebuilding the engine bay?? Maybe like a 540ci BB, redoing the eng bay for a TT setup is just part of the happening.

HHMMMmmmmmm.

Rick,

Saw a twin turbo 540 BBC in a 26 foot Checkmate a few summers ago on a LAke up here in Northern Mighigan. The owner custom did everything himself. Nothing too flash, but totally professional. He estimated between 700 and 800 horsepower. I didn't believe him at first, but when I was clipping along at a "modest" 90 mph, he blew by us a pretty good rate. I'd estimate at least 105 mph...

Tubos are cool.

-Andy