HybridZ

78 turbo

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok scottie-gnz says that a stroker turbo is no good that I can get more hp with bolt on's so what are the bolt on parts, I would like to be in the 11 in the 1/4 mile or better

Chris

------------------

Whoa, Chris,

that is not what I said. I said if you are shooting for less than 400RWHP, IMO, a stroker is not worth the expense and you should focus on bolt-ons.

I help a buddy build his L28T in a 71. The block is stock with fresh rings and bearings and the head is bone stock with a fresh valve job. He focused on bolt-ons and used the following:

- Spearco I/C with mandrel pipes

- 60mm TB

- t3/t04 turbo

- my DP and 3" mandrel exhaust

- 600cc injs and Pierburg pump

- SDS

- 3.70 LSD

- Aluminum radiator and good fan

He drove the car to the track and with minimal tuning on the SDS, 19# boost, pump gas and street tires, the car ran 11.74 @ 119. That computes to about 350RWHP and with race gas, more boost, more tuning and more track time, who knows.

Will every Z setup that way get the same results? Why not? There is not a single thing on that car that I would consider "trick". It just has the right combination of parts. How long will that engine last? Who knows, but since the focus was on reducing heat and detonation, why should it not live forever?

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Hey Scottie I have a few questions.

I hear the Pierburg pump will mount just like the stock Bosche fuel pump? Where can I get one and what flow rate did your buddy use? I'm looking to hit high 11's like your friend but I'm starting off w/ a 280ZX body.

What injectors did he use? Did he have to modify them to work like the barb fittings?

Also how much did the LSD help?

------------------

Future 12 sec L28ET Driver

Guest Anonymous

man, that is so cool! i want a turbo sooooo bad. how much did it cost your buddy for that setup? im only 16 so i want to start saving now smile.gif

Guest Speaker

hey, so far as that setup is concerned... where did he make full boost at?

i'm interested in a similar setup and i'm debating on a full T04E turbo or a T3/T4 hybrid...

this will be for a street car

Sean,

the Pierburg is an exact copy of the big Bosch. I forgot the flow rate (~80GPH?) but that is the pump I am using and I am right at 400RWHP and scaring the heck out of 10s biggrin.gif. I am hoping to be in the 430-440 range when I get it tuned right and have no concern about the pump not delivering. We all bought the pumps from Corky Bell at Cartech, http://www.cartech.net/ and they cost at $230.

My buddy is running RC 600cc injectors with barbed fittings. I personally think they are too big and we turned down the FP to 36# to get a better idle. As for the turbo, a T04E will make more power, but probably not as streetable and will have a little more lag. Depends on how much HP you are looking for.

I love showing off his car biggrin.gif

pb-eng-front.jpg

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

DemonZ,

I do not know the specifics of the turbo. He worked with Jim Wolf to come up with the turbo configuration. If you saw it, you would not be impressed, but obviously it is spec'd perfectly for his setup. My advice to anyone considering an upgraded turbo is to work with the manufacturer and let them configure the turbo based on your setup and how you plan to use the car.

SCCA, here are some more pics I posted a while back. I do not have a lot of room to keep them online for more than a week or 2, so if anyone likes the pics, feel free to download them.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/scottiegnz/PB-240ZT.html

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

if you need more space i have 10 megs not being used from my @home account anyone can post pics there.......

i dont use it at ALL...

Mike

Might as well tell what else I know about the car:

- Nissan 5-spd

- CFDF clutch

- 15x7 Autobahns, 225/50-15

- 3.70 LSD, halfshafts with solid u-joints

- We have the same brakes. 82-83 F calipers with 84 vented rotors and 82-83 calipers and rotors

- Stock fuel tank with rear sump, -8 and 1/2" line, Pierburg pump

- Complete strip-down body restoration.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

He currently has a turbo shortblock with the original pistons but fresh rings and bearings. Prior to that he did run a NA shortblock with a turbo head before it break a couple of rings. He saves every tiimeslip and counted 122 on the NA block and probably as much abuse on street.

The CFDF is 240mm. When I first did my L28T setup, I used a lightened flywheel and 225mm CFDF. It did not last long once I started cranking the boost up.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

The CFDF is 240mm. When I first did my L28T setup, I used a lightened flywheel and 225mm CFDF. It did not last long once I started cranking the boost up.

[/b]

Crappolo! I already have the clutch dynamically balanced with the crank/damper/flywheel assembly (they drilled holes in the pressure plate to do it?!)

I wonder if it will last long if I gingerly burn out hehe.

Anyone looking for a lightened pressure plate?

Guest Zkrazy

What does the average shmoe like me need to do to get these times? Other than to get the same parts???

I plan on starting the restore on the chassis soon, and the turbo engine will be last, but I've never done anything like this. If I were to get the same parts, could I get the same performance? I know tuning is the most important part after getting it all together.

TIA

PS: There seems to be a number of people that want about the same performance (me included). Is there any way someone can do a very thorough write up on this setup?

Anthony

I think it also takes a skilled driver.

I've seen guys run cars at the track that should get high 13's low 14's and they would hit 16 at best!

Always remember don't stage deep and leave at the 2nd yellow! smile.gif

------------------

Future 12 sec L28ET Driver