HybridZ

water cooled bearing

Nigel

When I get my T3/T4 built for my l28, I'm wondering if I should get a water cooled bearing. Is it worth while or not? Is there even enough room for the plumbing with the stock manifold? I checked the archives, but I can't find any discussion related to this topic.

Any thoughts?

Nigel

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited March 30, 2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP??? huh?

Anyways, nigel it can be done fairly easily. In theory the turbo should last longer. If i were to have another turbo built i would definiitely water cool the jacket. More piece of mind for me because i dont have one right now but would like one. BUT i also want a ball bearing turbo but i dont see that happening anytime soon! Too much money for me, cant afford it.

evan

Guest Fast Frog

Yes!

It is worth it. I had premature bushing failure with the first turbo had I had in my pre-V8 turbo setup. I was running 17-18lbs of boost. I sent it to Turbonetics for repair and upgrade to a Super"H"; they installed a water cooled bearing. I never had any problems with the turbo after that and the oil temp was noticable cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to replace the turbo in the car that I bought w/118000 miles on it at 136000 miles (I change oil religiously every 2500 in all cars - or every 3 months - cheap insurance.

Before the turbo always seemed to whine more than the new one - and the new one is vastly better both in spool up and amount of boost and outlet temperature.

10 lbs w/o intercooler for 40000 miles now.

Turbonetics set me up w/T3-T4 watercooled, clipped turbine.

If they'd had ball bearing I would have done that too, but this was in '94. I feel much better w/the water cooled center section, as to get home I have to drive through a neighborhood slow enough that I don't have to worry about coking when I pull into the drive -I only havet o shut it off.

Because I don't have a compressor bypass, the ball bearing route would be great for durability, as well as spooling faster.