HybridZ

twin turos on l28

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

"One of the most extreme modifications offered for the l28 in the US was the Cartech conversion,which featured twin turbochargers feeding a plenum chamber that formed the airbox for three twin-choke Mikuni carburettors. This was reputed to give approximately 350bhp, enough for 0-60mph to be achieved in under 5sec and a top speed of 165mph." This quote is from "Essential Datsun Z 240to280zx" by Colin Shipway

Has anyone ever seen this Cartech conversion kit?

I'd love to get my hands on one.

Guest Anonymous

The pictures of cartech stuff I've seen are all single turbo but the other specs are about right I'd say. I think Colin might be wrong on that.

Guest 75Turbo

I dont know about the Cartech system, but I've heard that 240Zturbo is in the process of designing/building a twin turbo setup and was looking for (I believe) 2 more people who were interested... it would significantly lower the manufacturing cost of the header.

Just thought I'd pass the info along...

Nathan.

Guest Frank280z

Doesn't JCR also have a roots type blower for the l6? But I guess you wouldn't get that umph like TTs when they spool up!!!

I had one of the Cartech Triple Mikuni setups on my car, and have since upgraded to EFI, and a bigger turbo and wastegate.

The Cartech setup was a single turbo with a 2 core intercooler, and Cartech claimed 315hp at 12psi of boost, as I recall. The horsepower numbers listed sound reasonable, assuming the boost had been cranked up a bit, and alot of tuning had been done on the Mikunis.

Cartech offered this kit in the mid to late 80's, and it has not been available for over 10 years, to my knowledge. I don't know why Jim Cook still shows it in their catalog.

In it's day (remember that this was before any aftermarket EFI systems were available) this was the most exotic setup that was available for the Z, and it worked reasonably well, at least at full throttle. The Mikunis did not deal with transients very well - the engine would bog severely, say, if you downshifted from 5th to 3rd and nailed it. So overall, the system made pretty good power, but the driveability was not so great.

When I converted over to EFI (TEC-II), the driveability difference was night and day, even before I had the thing dialed in.

Yes, I think that system uses a Holley TBI system. Pro-Jection, maybe?

You can find more info on the TEC-II, by poking around this site, mostly in the "Ignition and Fuel Delivery" section. Also, here are some good links:

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/index.htm

http://www.vishnuperformance.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ElectromotiveTECII

[ May 13, 2001: Message edited by: TimZ ]

[ May 13, 2001: Message edited by: TimZ ]

Twin turbo setup is not on hold, but awaiting the sale of my current turbo setup. Anyone interested? all the crap, turbo, manifold, wastegate, downpipe, oil lines, wastegate tubes, yada yada yada for only $1300! Anyway, the setup will feature 2 Mitsu 16G turbo's w/ 6cm housings. I will have to slightly modify the compressor housing so that I can clock them how I want which will require some mods for the wastegate actuator. Anyway, nobody wanted to hop on board with my idea, so I am building it to my satisfaction and for my particular requirements/setup. Point being, I am not doing it for the masses at this point in time, but I hope to take alot of pretty pictures. It should be fairly straight forward and @ 15psi the 2 16Gs will outflow the T64 maxed out by over 100cfm. From all I have read this setup should see a dramatic increase in spoolup. If I get this done we can hope to see TimZ do a similar setup and continue to make 100hp more than me with the same stuff! BASTARD! HEHE!