HybridZ

77 280z volt gauge inop/hazard light fix and adjustment

Via FSM determined steering lock switch shorted to ground causing blown 10a Hazard Fuse. Disconnected steering lock switch -ops check good. Well, sorta. Voltage was reading way too high showing close to 16v and I know my stock one struggles to put out even 15v. Removed gauge and found an adjustment set screw. Determined the top left pin (with the index pin pointing down) was positive (it has red tape around it the wire) and the top right was negative. Hooked it up to the battery with the engine running. I used some molex pins I had on hand to make the test leads. Used my multimeter as a reference and determined idle voltage was 14v flat. Made an index mark so I could go back to home. It was intuitive from there. Clockwise increased the reading, counterclockwise decreases the reading. Reads as it should now. This also fixed my hazard lights as that circuit also feeds the hazard light switch. Hope this helps some puke in the future. Reference pages on 77 FSM: BE39 gauge removal. BE-33 schematic/diagram.

D13BB7E6-9393-4871-B067-064AAB0560E9.jpeg

50EAC292-98DB-429F-AD19-97A703DFC365.jpeg

Edited by Chickenwing

• Chickenwing changed the title to 77 280z volt gauge inop/hazard light fix and adjustment