HybridZ

Yeah Buddy!

I kinda got the same feeling Mike Kelly

did w/ his car and I did something about it this week! I'm about to go pick up my ZX w/ it's new Downpipe and Blow off valve. My TurboXS High Perf boost controler will be here tomorrow rush delivery and I think I should be able to get it in by the time I get the track tomorrow night. I'm gonna run maybe 8-10 lbs depending if I can get the 100 oct gas. My baby should win me my $2 bet next Wed. at the track! I'm gonna be havin some fun. Well some loud fun because all I'm running is the down pipe! icon_biggrin.gif Any ideas if that'll make my boost spike? I think it might so I'm driving it gingerly home so I can get my boost guage in tonight or so. If you think 10psi is too much non-intercooled please let me know! Thanks and wish me luck!

It could very well spike. I don't know th eZ motors that well but I know that other cars will spike with theat much restriction removed so be careful. As to max boost - I don't know that either but I DO know someone who's boost gauge has read 12lbs on a "stock" ZXT. Obviously something's been twiddled by a previous owner but the car SEEMS to run fine. Personally I think that's WAY too much boost. Be careful and I'll be VERY interested to hear what others say about max boost in this app. icon_confused.gif

Can we say LOUD?? Man I'm glad I'm buttoning up the exhaust this week, 'cuz I can't even drive it it's so loud. Sounds really great w/ the blow off and the spooling turbo. Called muffler tech and it's gonna be around $575 for my exhaust including making me a test pipe, using mandrel bends and welding on the EGR pipe. Found out my boost didn't seem to change at all, pop-off valve stays shut. Also found out my exhaust leak was from where the turbo mounts to the exhaust manifold. All the bolts seem to have loosened up and it blew out the gasket. I'm hoping if I can get it on a lift I can change that puppy out w/out removing the manifolds. You guys think it'll work?

Hrm, I had the same gasket blow out on my N/A 260Z. I know yours is a ZX, but you should be able to drop the downpipe low enough to clear the studs for a new gasket. Get a good quality one. I should have used jam nuts with some antiseize compound to prevent that same thing from happening twice before I sold it!

Sean, the price of $575 for a mandrel bent system sounds extremely reasonable. The distance to them is the only thing that will prevent me from using them to install my exhaust system. Just a bit too far...especially with open block huggers!

David