HybridZ

250hp - 275 hp from L28 Turbo?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What is the most inexpensive way to get 250-275 hp out of an L28 Turbo using as many stock components as possible and adding an intercooler?

I believe (Scottie or Drax can correct me if I'm wrong)that you should simply add an intercooler and up the boost to around 10-12 psi? Good Mandrel bent 3" exhaust and maybe up grade your fuel pump.

I wouldn't try and go any higher w/ the stock FI though.

If the engine is in good condition, you will save a ton by not even having to remove the head. An efficient I/C with mandrel bent piping, low-cost t3/t04 upgrade turbo, upgrade DP and/or 3" exhaust, low-cost inj upgrade (check my site for the SVO mod). To keep the cost down you will have to know how to "fiddle" with the AFM to get the proper mixture.

I made 300RWHP running 17# boost with the stock T3 turbo. The engine was untouched, and I had an NPR I/C, my own DP with 3" exhaust, SVO 370cc injs, 300ZX 55mm TB, and SDS. I would not recommend trying to push the stock turbo that far. A low-cost t3/t04 upgrade is only $400+ and worth every penny. My buddy is makingh 350RWHP with a Spearco, bigger injs and turbo.

The SDS tends to blow everyone's budget but you end up doing so much fiddling w/o it. It is so nice to not only have control of the fuel but timing advance AND retard.

Check out DRAX's site and mine for tips. http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

http://www.zdriver.com/members/scottiegnz/scotties240zt.htm

I took the liberty of writing up an overview on a buildup for this type of engine. Just try the links in my signature at the bottom. icon_smile.gif

In short, 270hp is feasable with stock internals. And though I haven't actually run my engine with the SDS yet, icon_rolleyes.gif I'd still recommend it! icon_smile.gif