HybridZ

Question for StealthZ, Advice Needed =)

R0N

Hi Stealth, I am getting a hybrid turbo made t3/t4e for my 71 240Z L28ET and wanted to get your advice, you posted this in March....

"I have beem fortunate enough to dyno a number of turbo configurations on Z-cars. And now that I am no longer working for a particular performance shop, I can let everyone in on my experience. I can say, without a doubt, the most impressive Garrett STREET turbo for a Z I have found is a T3/T4E stage V 69A/R 50 trim. It has phenominal spool up (starts at 1700rpm, and 280+ ft/lb of torque at the wheels by 3000rpm on a dynojet), and is capable of 450+ at the wheels. If you want the double throw down set-up, add the Turbonetics ball bearing option. Overall it is a hard combination to beat. The flow and size seems to be perfectly matched to the 2.8L L28 eng."

Just curious if you have tried this configuration for Z's .63 a/r 54 trim? If yes how was it compaired to the .69 a/r 50 trim. The reason I ask is because I talk to a person who tried 3 different turbo on his Lotus and one of them was a .69 a/r 50 trim. The turbo he like the best was .63 a/r 54 trim but that was on a Lotus not a Z. I am trying to make a descission on the two configurations.

Thank You in Advance,

Ron

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: R0N ]

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: R0N ]

I Agree, I think I will be going to the T3/T04e Stage III .63a/r 54 trim. BTW Here's his email on the difference...

"The only thing I can tell you is this, I have 2.2 in my Lotus Esprit turbo (picture of a .63 a/r 54 trim). This is the final configuration I ended up liking it. Since I can afford as much turbo I want, I experimented many different configurations and one of the configuration is .69 a/r .50 trim. This configuration, lots of lag but pick up at the end. I ended up using .63 a/r

54 trim because it is balance in performance. Good take off and also gave me a little top end.

See, configuring turbo is very critical. It does not apply the principle of "the bigger the better" Its totally wrong! You have to make a decision what type of driving you want. Traffic light to traffic light or top end performance. YOU CANNOT GET TWO THINGS AT THE SAME TIME.

I used 4 turbochargers before I settled to the last one we are talking. Of course, I cannot comment that this is good for you too, but this is my experienced. If I were you, I will take .63 .54 rather than .69 a/r .50.....way too big for traffic light to traffic light. If you are looking for top end, then its different story."

I guess I should expand on potent street car, TimZ running his 60-1 is definately very potent. I meant for a stock block L28et with good fuel and a decent intercooler. Not all of will run 26psi icon_biggrin.gif . It's a pretty good fisher price starter turbo for me icon_razz.gif . It sure would be nice to be able to play arounf with the different housings and wheels. Perhaps I am splitting hairs between the 54 and the 57 series, who knows?? I have seen several well done 240sx's done with these turbos, boost response is reported as awsome. It is too bad Scottie didn't get more runs in with the hybrid before the motor died. I love his straight shooting articles, most magazines I take with a grain of salt.

My turbo is T3/T04E-57mm Stage III turbine with .63 A/R

Hey Stealth!

? 4 ya.

I just ran across (actually filing) my receipt from Turbonetics from '94 where I got the following:

S/-72/WET/CS CHRA - watercooled centersection

S-Trim Compressor Housing

W/C Installation Kit and fasteners/o-rings

and clipped turbine wheel.

All for $588 overnite.

Using stock exhaust housing on my '83 ZXT.

My question is this - how does this compare to what ya'll are talking about in regard to A/R and trim? I would like a pint of reference for what to expect when I finally start upgrading the ZXT w/intercooler (air/water) and rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

TIA

icon_smile.gif

Brad

Hey Clint... I almost decide going to the 57 trim since TIMZ has it and is known to be Fast. I think I will try out the 54 trim. On TimZ's turbo, I am not sure if he got this option... the guy called it 11 degree... I got this option and what it does is it acts like a blow off value. BTW Do you know what fuel management he's using? Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by R0N:

Hey Clint... I almost decide going to the 57 trim since TIMZ has it and is known to be Fast. I think I will try out the 54 trim. On TimZ's turbo, I am not sure if he got this option...

Whoa, guys...

Thanks for the kind words, but my turbo is a Turbonetics T64. The turbine side is a full T04 (it's not a T3/T4), with an o-trim wheel and .69 AR.

As far as the 11 degree thing - I'm not sure what that is - could you please clarify?

I run a t3/t4/spr hybrid turbo

60-1 hifi/stg V .82ar

Wet/Dyn

I have never had problems with spool up with this unit and for traffic light to traffic light not a problem. granted it could be the aftermarket computer. Wastegate setup, etc...

that may be different from car to car. Next upgrade T64...

The 54 is an awsome turbo probably my first choice for a street/strip combo. It has a very broad range of effeciency, you could probably run in the 12's. I got the 57mm which gives up a little of that down low flow punch, but will take me about as fast as I want to go and retain a potent street car. This is theoritical from the maps and calculations, dyno and street time tells whats what.

I still don't trully understand the 11 degree term. From what he told me... I believe the builder bends the turbin 11 degrees so when you back off it doesn't create a bid surge and acts like a blow off valve. Hope it makes sense.

So you guy's with the bigger turbo don't have problems in traffic to traffic driving, well I don't know what to get (deciding on which configuration), I do want a turbo that will spool up at 1700rpm or less.

BTW He mention the turbo can push a max of 32PSI.

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: R0N ]

Boy, that was some funny postings. I am sure the 11 degrees is in reference to the clip put on the turbine wheel. Clipping the wheel reduces backpressure allowing for the turbo to create more all-out power. However, the price you can pay is a reduced surface area on the turbine wheel which can potentially decrease spoolup. TimZ is running a T64 which is a monster for a street car in most applications. Here is a pic of his turbo setup and you can see the size of the turbine housing, about 9" diameter.

engine2.jpg

I used to run the same turbo, but used the smaller 60-1 turbine housing and had it bored out for the T64 compressor wheel. To give you some idea, the large diameter of the compressor wheel is 3.55".

newsetup2.jpg

Don't be fooled by people claiming that a 48trim will make 450+hp@wheels on an L motor. I suppose if you want to run about 30psi of boost it is possible, but be reasonable about what 99% of the people do. Nobody is gonna run 30psi of boost on a street car, so pick a turbo that supplies enough flow at boost levels in the 20psi range which is doable even on pump gas. For example, TimZ's T64 made 391hp@wheels at about 22psi of boost. That should be a good reference for what to expect. I calculated that my old 60-1 was making about 363@wheels with 19psi of boost. Anyway, just remember that it takes a bit more turbo on the L6 to make the good power and if you have 350+hp @wheels then you have a pretty fast car.

[ September 23, 2001: Message edited by: 240Z Turbo ]

Thanks for the education on the 11 degree, I had no idea what it was he just told me it acts like BOV and though he said 11 degree bend, LOL. Well I wanted a turbo that can put me in the 12's with decent spoolup. I don't want to use NOS to get me out of the hole.

The trim is actually 54 and not 48. I hoping to achieve 300RWHP. This would be my temporary setup. Where I got the 450+RWHP is from a post from StealthZ using Garret T3/T04E Stage V .69 a/r 50 trim (read first post).

Well my final plan for my motor setup (hoping)is to put a rb26dett stock motor w/ rb25 tranny using SDS with a little larger injectors than stock and a huge intercooler is what I'm hoping. Don't plan to start til 2-3years from now and most like going to get a loan off of my home. Still doing research but mostly worried about replacement parts. I found a place in LA that would sell me the motor and tranny for $3800 complete(without harness and computer). I would say that's not bad considering I am planning to get a loan for $20K for the Z project which includes paint/body.

TimZ did you upgrade from the 60-1 to the t64, wasn't sure you were running that big. In the beginning I was reluctant to choose anything that big. Doesn't the compressor maps run on the wrong side of the surge line. I heard that could be bad for the compressor with a cavitation thing going on. Now my understanding about choosing a big turbo is changing, you can go big if you are very careful choosing A/R, wastegate ...

Always learning something new about turbos. icon_smile.gif