HybridZ

Hrm, SBC V8 thoughts...

BLKMGK

I've been looking around a bit at what supercharger head units cost figuring I'd find one and eventually have a blown car. However while researching EFI options I stumbled into the turbo area on a GN site. Turbos to support nearly 600HP are actually pretty reasonable! As in $600 range which flat out spanks what I'm finding supercharger head units for... check out -> http://www.precisionte.com in the Buick section and see what I mean. In the end the added costs of exhaust plumbing, intercooler, and maybe a wastegate might add up to be more than a supecharger with custom mountsintercooler but it probably would be somewhat close. The turbo ends up being more flexible too.... I THINK Rewarder has a blurb on their site about turbo manifolds, I'm going to have to look more closely at it I think icon_biggrin.gif A single turbo ought to be plenty and sure would be neat to play with.

I know this has come up before but I've always thought it would have to be really kludged or really expensive. If we can find someone making manifolds this might actually be somewhat reasonable! I had thought big power turbos to be close to a grand apiece or much more and maybe the really big ones are but.... Scottie, any reason why these turbos in a GN style setup wouldn't work? Airflow is airflow and if it makes 500HP on a GN shouldn't it support that much on something else?

This may be oversimplifying things, but I was thinking that, for a twin setup icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif , using turbos from an engine that has half the displacement would work ie. SBC=5.7L, then use 2x turbos from an engine with around 3L of displacement. Maybe even the L28T turbos would be about right, if using two of them.I don't think that headers will be a problem. The boating stuff should be easy enough to convert. I am planning to use a CARB blowthru setup, maybe FI down the road......but first get the Z together icon_sad.gif

Tim

BLKMGK,

I am using a Precision Turbo, model PTE-51. Cost was $600 outright and it supports up to 585hp and more if you upgrade it to a bigger exhaust housing, assuming you can deal with the added lag. The one thing to be aware of is that the turbo flange for a stock GN header is 3-bolts as opposed to the more popular 4-bolts. Most GNers stick with the 3-bolt until they get way up there in HP where they have more of a selection of 4-bolt turbos. If you were starting from scratch, you can go either way and if you go 3-bolt GN-style, you can go a long way before the selection gets thin.

You might recall Mattback getting 357RWHP from his 300ZXT. He is using a TE-44 which is a very popular turbo among the GN crowd and good used ones can be found for around $400. He is no where close to maxing out that turbo.

It is really a mystery why other turbo vendors charge so much. I can certainly understand ceramic wheels and ball-bearings, but a standard big-hp turbo for a GN should be no more or less expensive than a standard generic big-hp turbo.

The debate about a TT-V8 vs a single-turbo is an interesting one. The issue of turbo lag with a single turbo can be minimized by selecting a properly configured turbo. Certainly the TT can make more HP, but if you are talking 500 vs 900, then you have to ask yourself if your engine can support that extra HP. The complexity of making a crossover for the exhaust for a single-turbo is probably no less complex that the I/C plumbing, the I/C itself (dual in/single out) and 2 DPs for a TT setup.

IMO, if you are looking for a 500+hp turbo-V8, a properly configured single-turbo will get the job done. Just understand the volume of air you think you will be moving and configure the turbo, I/C, cam, etc to suit the need.

Cool, thanks for the input Scottie - sort of what I figured. Airflow is airflow icon_smile.gif Just not sure I really have a "need" for that much power. Shortblock WILL take it and my compression is low enough that I could run a few lbs of boost no sweat. But how much is too much? I'm breaking rear parts now and expect to fix that but a turbo motor would make serious torque! I've also just now gotten a set of headers that should be much better, don't want to trash all that effort so soon. Perhaps keep one, loop it under the motor, and then have a custom side for the turbo mount. Like a GN icon_biggrin.gif

We'll see, I'm thinking that a short message to Rewarder might be of benefit. Are many folks very interested in a single turbo setup? icon_confused.gif

I am definitely interested, but haven't made the decision on single or dual.

One way to minimize lag is to get a divided turbine housing and do some trick work with the exhaust to supply each side w/even exhaust pulses.

I am going turbo because I want the car quiet (relatively) so I don't beat my ears to death every day.

Ok - that's only HALF the truth - I also want to shame some of the 'vettes and Vipers running around Atlanta icon_smile.gif