HybridZ

SBC TT Project

SuperDan

• Administrators

Mercruiser or any SBC inboard exhaust manifold.

Lot's of different types to choose from and pretty cheap, well not too cheap but under $300 for a set.

BPISBLOMC.jpg

BPISB3MER.jpg

BPISBCOMC.jpg

BPISB4BAR.jpg

My concern is they are water cooled, would running them without the water be a bad thing?

Feedback please.

Dan

Dan,

I believe that the exhaust are water cooled because the exhausts are, many times, exposed in boats. This would make the accidental skin touches less severe??

Definitely not fact, merely an opinion, but I would think that a quick call to a local boating shop could answer for sure.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I think the 'wet' pipes also are used to muffle the exhaust since they don't use a real muffler in the common sense. I don't know how the exhaust is mixed with the water in the manifold, and if not using water meant you'd have exhaust coming out the water pipes as well? shifty.gif If not, they look promising, not a super terrible price really for nice cast iron manifolds (quiet ahhh..nice...).

Dan, just for grins have you tried a upside down ramshorn manifold? It may stick out to far, but could maybe be angle milled like JTR did in the manual. A small collector could be fab'ed to allow the turbo flange to bolt to the manifold. Just a thought, worth trying if you see one in a wrecker. Oh yeah, also those one camaro ones JTR mentions as well, they may be useful for putting the turbo up front more when they're turned upside down.

Regards,

Lone

• Administrators

Well, from what iv'e been able to find out, the water cooling is to keep the temps down in a cramped engine bay so as not to cause a fire because of limited airflow around the engine.

Also, found out there should be no problem running them with out the water cooling hooked up icon_smile.gif

Dan, just for grins have you tried a upside down ramshorn manifold? It may stick out to far, but could maybe be angle milled like JTR did in the manual. A small collector could be fab'ed to allow the turbo flange to bolt to the manifold. Just a thought, worth trying if you see one in a wrecker. Oh yeah, also those one camaro ones JTR mentions as well, they may be useful for putting the turbo up front more when they're turned upside down.

Yeah, thought of that, would work and be pretty easy to modify, one problem, with it turned upside down the spark plug holes are covered icon_sad.gif

From what I understand this is not a problem with a SBF.

Going to start calling around to some boat supply places, what I have heard is that most people replace the manifolds about every 3-4 years because of salt water.

I want to try and find a set of used one like the log style in the top picture.

Guest Anonymous

Haha, hadn't thought about that, well it was going great till we put the plugs in icon_rolleyes.gif haha. Let us know how that works out with the marine ones, looks like the best close to over the counter out there at the moment!

Good luck,

Lone

Also,

I don't think that stock headers can take the heat of a turbo setup. All of the turbo headers I've seen have very thick flanges and much thicker gauge tubing. I think that it would be neat to run water through those headers....keep the bay nice and cool icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm.. Water-cooling the headers doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, especially if it is done upstream of the turbos. Water-cooling the headers reduces the exhaust energy by quite a bit, decreasing power, efficiency, as well as increasing lag. Also wouldn't the routing required for the water pipes be a hassle? You're better off just ceramic coating the suckers. Wouldn't cost much more, its simpler, and has the exact opposite effect that water cooling does (albeit to a lesser extent)