HybridZ

tdo5 converted to supercharger

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok a tdo5 and all turbos are the same thing as a super charger but one runs off a pully and the other runs on a turbine ran of the exaust... so i got this tdo5 turbo and im guna weld a pully on it so that it runs of a belt instead of the exaust that way i can keep my headers and do it with out spending any money flamedevil.gif

You've left out one crucial detail - the compressor wheel needs to turn at 50,000+ RPM. I don't think you can get a drive pulley small enough for that. The centrifugal superchargers have a gearing system that increases the rpm of the compressor so that it can work properly.

You sort of have the basic concept down, except that the exhaust driven turbo spins at very high rpms (I don't know, but is 20k a resonable number for high boost applications?). This is why the belt driven centrifugal chargers have gear drives that increase the rotation rate of the turbines. Even then the superchargers are biased with larger housings and vanes.

Well...

Here is a compressor map for a td05:

j5-16glines.gif

Bear in mind that the RPM lines drawn on this map were derived for a twin turbo 3.0l setup. So, to get the appropriate flow for your single turbo 2.8l, you'll have to go to roughly double the RPM shown on the chart (i.e., 4000rpm for you is 8000rpm on the chart)

From this, it looks like if you want to run, say, 10psi at 4000rpm, you will need to run your compressor wheel at about 105,000rpm (the green dot on the red line).

Let's say your crank pulley is 6inches in diameter. At 4000rpm, you would need to multiply your shaft speed by 105/4, or 26.25. This would result in a required compressor pulley of about 6/25.25, or about 0.28" in diameter.

If you want higher boost it only gets worse.

Sorry.

Based on TimZ's figure, let's assume a 10:1 ratio on the pulleys. And for efficiency sake, lets keep the turbine pulley no smaller than 2" (3" would be better), the the minimum size of drive pulley on the crank would need to be 20" (big pulley). Obviously the centrifugal compressors are not ratioed like this, BUT, they use quite a bit bigger housing and wheel, which allows a slower spin than the smaller housed turbo.

From what i understand the centrafugal ones also have a two stage drive. In the housing is gears to speed up the turbine. Mabye you could coopy this with a two belt multi pully design. I have always wondered if you could do this hydrolicly with a variable dispacement pump that would be designed to give peak boost at low rpms to cut back lag and then decrease its displacement as the revs climbed to maintain the boost at the chossen pressure. I have mentioned this to a few people and they usually think im nuts but a lot of air plane controls are hydrolic so i still think it can be done.

The td05 is of a mitsi. isnt it? If you really want to have a go at it i would try to swap it for a much larger turbo. Mabye someting of a big truck so you dont have to spin it so high.

Good luck,

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

I think they've said it. My .02 on the situation is getting a larger turbo, hence lower turbine rpm requirements. JCR makes a supercharger for Z's, if you're serious about supercharging rather than conventionally turbocharging (by means of exhaust pressure) I think you might want to call them.

What I really wanted to know was confused2.gif where did TimZ get that map? I've been looking at different sites with turbine and compressor maps, and from my calculations a t04d s3 trim would be good to run about 8-15 psi boost on a zxt motor, and if intercooled properly, get well within the 300 hp range.. can somebody verify?

Btw, I might want my $.02 back since I'm running short of funds on my turbo project.. icon_rolleyes.gif

MAK

Guest Anonymous

WA,UA

Somewhere in Uraguay?

Oops.. rolleyesg.gif the 'A' is so close to the 'S' on the keyboard.. I'm from Washington, US

about a half-hour drive from Portland International Raceway if it means anything coollook.gif

Well I'm not sure if JCR still produces the Supercharger. fairlady's right, they advertise it in the catalog. Seems like all those 3rd party Z part producers don't have anything anymore... speaking of which, does anyone know who owns the Arizona Z car fibreglass molds? I remember reading some paint/body posts a while back about a few people wanting to buy them..

Kinda off the subject considering this post pertains to converting a dsm turbo into a supercharger...

MAK

quote:

Originally posted by Ross C:

"JCR makes a supercharger for Z's"

I heard via a customer of mine that they weren't selling that system anymore? Have you got info that says different?

As i recall, they still show the Cartech turbo setup in there, also. I'm pretty sure that that kit has not been available for 10+ years. rolleyesg.gif