HybridZ

cheap way to increase preformance

Len

When thumbing thru my motorsport parts book. I always end up in preformance section. I have a 1983 280 ZX turbo no mods I was thinking to improve preformance. Buying;

adjustable boost control kit #10-2136 for $94.95

they say my original boost gauge isn't to accurate so I would need to buy a Autometer Boost Gauge #50-5258 for $57.95 and mount for $24.95

I don't want to increase the boost so must to need a big buck intercooler. So maybe going up to 9 lbs. boost which I think would mean I would need to buy a Adjustable pop-off valve with yellow spring 6-12 psi #10-2132 for $99.95

Would I increase my preformance very much this way? without stressing out my engine to much (daily driver)? Am I overlooking anything else I might need? What do you guys think about this idea?

Guest Anonymous

Well Len..

if you're shooting for 9 psi non-intercooled, and adj p/o valve would be necessary, yes. The boost kit they have is just a wastegate fooling device, it controls the wastegate to let 9 psi (or whatever) when the wastegate believes it is seven. Considering how cheap it is for a conquest or starion intercooler though (a good no-leak one w/ some bent fins can be had for $130), and about $200 in piping and mounting brackets. Then you can quite safely pump up the boost to 10-12 psi. Not only will an i/c pack more molecules (more hp/psi) but the charge air temp will be much lowered entering the combustion chamber, therefore forfeiting any chance of detonation. I would say if you ran 8 psi constantly and 12 psi during "heavy boost", with the stock turbo you could be putting out maybe 210-230 hp, which is about 40 more than stock, and for a daily driver that's a pretty fast and reliable way to get more power. One sure way to make sure a turbo engine isn't being detonated (charge-air explosion in combustion chamber, rather than controlled burning) is to get a cheap air/fuel gauge and assy. and always listen for 'pinging' when under heavier boost than normal. Also if you want to keep your turbo, change the oil at least every 5k, and always let your car idle for a minute or so after running it to let the oil cool in the turbo (that's one thing the ricers from fast & furious DON'T do, I guess they are just racing to see who can get out of their cars first after stopping), or buy a turbo timer for about $100. Good luck, and if you're interested in the intercooling business check out some of the zxt swaps and photo's of members in this forum. Almost all are using intercoolers.

It sounds like your liening tward an intercooler.You say I can use an intercooler off a Plymonth Conquest or a starion? Hmmm... I didn't know they were interchangable; I just thought a compatable intercooler was a $1,000.00 bill. Something like $130 at a salvage and then piping and mounting brackets for around $200 that can be a possibility. I guess the real question is where would I find someone who could fabracate the piping and hookups?

Wow I didn't realize just around 9 PSI of boost would add that much HP (40 or so)above original 180hp stock!!This is an eye opener I've got a LT-1 engine I planed to put in an old 240 Z to add 285 HP But just tweaking on this turbo could get some serious hp with not as much hassel for now!

Thank you for waking me up!

Try this for a cheap boost controller

http://www.fwdmopar.com/sites/dennis/boostcontrolbible.html

This is the best construction link I've found -> http://pages.cthome.net/gus/mike.html

Parts for that one cost me less than $30 from McMaster and only that much becasue one of the parts came in a 10pack only apparently icon_rolleyes.gif Got the order (fast!) today and will install on the Supra ASAP and report back.

For a MUCH better manual boost controller -> http://www.autospeed.com/A_0685/page1.html However I didn't want that complexity icon_biggrin.gif

In my case the turbos cannot blow up the engine, not so in your case I'm afraid so tread carefully if you build one of those. I'm building the one from the top and may modify it by not drilling the bleed hole they specify as I don't think I'll need it (am not sure what it's for, might be wrong - Scottie? Anyone? Bleed off pressure to wastegate diaphragm?). Have fun and install an intercooler if you can - it's well worth it IMO.

Man have I learned alot about turbo's today! I guess a intercooler is just a glorafied radiator for cooling air before going into the turbo. Am I right? I just thought my K&N Air Filter would be OK. Where do you install them; just before the turbo?

I was investigating that website you just listed BLKMGK. I saw it listed an hour ago on an old thread from Cody 82 ZXT on ZCAR. (pages.cthome.net/gus/index.html) It really explains alot of things. Also this www.dawesdevices.com looks like they sell some pretty neat stuff..... I'll look on those other websites you listed. Thank you

Super 280Z I'll contact you on those intercoolers Thanks

Looks like you are doing a LT-1 project also!

Len

Guest Anonymous

Len,

Now you can learn a lot about turbo's from this forum but to save the lesson learning and hassle of other members icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif for newbie type questions.. no offense.. you can learn the preliminaries and even the advanced issues and aspects of turbocharging in Corky Bell's book Maximum Boost.

Anyway, a quick lesson. In a modern max effort turbo system, it goes like this: (you'll notice a loop)

<=air filter=-->>>>compressor inlet----turbine-outlet>>>exhaust

+++++++++++++++(spun- charged)++++wastegate>>>>>/

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< comp. outlet+++++++++++| /

||++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++exhaust

||intercooler++++++++++++++++++++++++++^^

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++MOTOR

||++++++++++Blow-off valve+++++++++++++^^

>>>>>>>>>>>>/>>>>>>-->>>>>>>>>>>>>intake

so you can see, the i/c is essencially the last "object" between the turbo and the intake/motor, mostly because any other objects would affect flow and also alter temperatures. a BOV won't affect flow but will help you keep turbo rpms up when backing off the throttle (shifting, short revving, etc) by letting compressed air escape when the throttle plate is closed.

About the turbo/system/controller etc, I don't know if a stock t3 turbo/wastegate will take you to 285. I'm gonna use the stock zxt for the time being, and see what it can do for me. I'm using an sds efi and direct fire ignition setup and big intercooler though. a ~1.8 pressure ratio on a 168 cid motor should easily get to 220-230 hp. That's on an ideal turbo system, with correct fuel, fire, turbo trim and compression ratio, etc. There's quite a bit more involved to increase power safely than just "pumping up the juice," I'm sure you realize this though, which is probably why you have modest goals. The stock fuel and efi system will easily take you under 250 hp. I guess once you get there you'll know if you need more squeal to the wheel. Good luck

-980mak

Thanks for posting those links, Jim.

I have one of the ones listed in the first link on my Eclipse GSX : http://users.erinet.com/40666/DSM-MBC.htm

It works fine, but I'm sure others are out there that work just as good. My only complaint with it is that it's pretty sensitive to the adjustment - a small bit of a turn is a few psi. But it works well enough.

Guys you have been a great help in my education. I am sorta embarrased of the questions I have been asking after reading parts of Corky Bell's book! While I recover from this knee surgery I will do my homework. But when I get back on my feet and start really working on this I figure I will have more questions.

Since I just purchased a new set on turbo injectors I figure as you say on modest gains in preformance.

I figure although those electronic boost controllers sound neat. Pricewise I will use a manual boost controller.

I will need a boost pressure gauge so I can dial in the boost controller to around 9 PSI.

I will need an air/fuel gauge maybe those ten stage colored ones green/red to see if I am running to lean (so I don't burn up engine). If I am running to lean I fugure I will either lower the boost or on that gus website I could possibly use my cold weather injector hook up a pressure switch (still learning on this)to add more gas into intake and/or modify my fuel pressure regulator to allow more pressure to injectors (but I don't like that idea because I would still like to get decient fuel encomony). I am excited about an intercooler I located the Black pipe running from my turbo to my intake (on drivers side). I figure I will cut it; make flanges then run piping forward (I have to figure how to reroute my AFM and K&N filter to do this)in front of radiator and place my intercooler there.

By golly I got a plan, now to refine it!

Thanks again guys

I'll be back!!!!!!

Len!