HybridZ

Solenoid Controlled Turbo Wastegate?

260DET

Rather than using a pneumatic controlled wastegate with its attendant problem of wastegate creep, has anyone tried making up a control using an electric solenoid?

The idea is to use an adjustable air pressure switch tapped into the existing turbo outlet and wired to a solenoid to open the wastegate when the set amount of boost is reached. Would not cost a lot to make.

Anyone tried this? See any problems?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

....are you talking about using an electrical solenoid to open the wastegate....that seems like it might be tricky.....(getting the solenoid to open just the right amount at the right time)...what do you plan on using to coordinate the vacuum/pressure with the wastegate/solenoid position.

I would think that Grainger would probably have the parts to do it.....but it sounds pretty tricky.might be pretty expensive too... ......s

Try a ball valve controller instead like the Hallman Boost controller (http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com). It blocks the signal to the wastegate until the desired pressure is reached and therefore, no wastegate creep. I'm running one on my Subaru Legacy Turbo. Boost level is rock solid and spool-up is excellent.

There are also some sites out there for DIY ball valve controllers if you want to save some $.

Nigel

• 3 years later...

I've been playing around with a similar idea. The two main ingredients are:

1) an adjustable boost pressure switch (Ebay - $20)

2) an electric solenoid valve (off a junkyard turbo Saab; aka APC valve)

Basically, plumb the solenoid valve so it blocks the wastegate boost signal. Wire the boost pressure switch so that it energizes the solenoid at a fixed boost level. When the solenoid is energized, the wastegate sees boost as it normally would, and opens accordingly.

This is no different then a ball valve type wastegate controller, except it's done electronically. It may or may not work any better, but the parts are cheap and I might try it. I think the electronic solution may be more responsive to sudden changes in manifold pressure. I have a ball/spring type, and I frequently overboost when I smash the accelerator.