HybridZ

Rising Rate Reg. with stock turbo fuel pump?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is this just pointless or will i get a little help out of it? I have one my buddy said i can try out but i was doubtful that the stock turbo fuel pump would be able to handle the higher pressure and volume. Has anyone had any success with this setup? thanks

Mostly pointless, unless you are running very low boost pressures. As I recall, the stock turbo pump has an internal pressure relief at either 60 or 65 psi, so it will never go higher than that. For the RR FPR to work properly you would want the capability of going much higher than that (like 100-120psi).

Also, when picking out a new pump it's VERY important to make sure that the pump will supply enough fuel at the fuel pressures you intend to use. There can be a HUGE difference in flow capacity when going from 45psi to 100psi. Many high flow FI pumps won't even go that high.

i talked to corky bell at bell engineering about the exact same issue. (he builds RRFPR's) he said the stock pump may work but you just have to try it and monitor the fuel pressure to see what you're getting up front. of course he had a high flow pump to sell me too, but to his credit he advised to try the stocker first. he seemed pretty knowledgeable about the whole thing having built several turbo z's.

how much boost are you running now and how is that intercooler working out? any 1/4 mile times yet?

I'd be careful here...

I doubt that Corky meant to try this on the engine while under boost. You can check this statically by monitoring the fuel pressure while applying pressure to the FPR reference port with a MityVac pressure tester (or equivalent).

I did this combo once and the pump died after a short while. :( After that i bought the pump ftrom him that he recommended. It is a Peirburg that was about 200.00. Bolts on and seems to be fine for the last 4 years. He also recommed trying one off a turbo Saab or Porshe. they can be had at the J/Y for about 20 bucks. Might be worth trying. 2thumbs.gif