HybridZ

Car turns over but won't start

The car was running at about 1500 rpm, while trying to adjust the rpm via the AFM (glue broken and adjusted by previous owner) and the idle adjustment screw the car shut off almost as if the car ran out of fuel, car wouldn't restart. I added a couple of gallons no change. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1975 and 1976 have a fuel pump contact switch in the AFM controlled by the vane position.  I'm guessing that it might be a 280Z or a 280ZX or a 300ZX since they all use AFM's.  If it's a 280ZX there are other possible causes.  If it's a 300ZX there are also other causes.

Supply more facts and you'll get more specific suggestions.  Good luck.

It's a 1978 280z, I can hear the fuel pump and the fuel regulator when trying to start. I also get spark. I'm truly confused with what specifically happened because nothing was being adjusted when the car shut off.

Use a meter or test light and check for voltage at the injector connections with the key on.  The ECU's on these cars are known to go bad.  But that's just one possibility, don't start swapping parts.

This guide will help for troubleshooting.  It's from 1980 but it covers all years of EFI.

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/file/32-efi-book-1980/