HybridZ

What turbo for 4.3 V6?

Guest zthang43

Guest zthang43

It will be a while before I have the cash, but I'm thinking about doing a twin turbo setup on my 4.3 Chevy V6 in my Z. I'm wondering what turbos would be optimum for that. I would like to make 400-450hp without too much turbo lag. Is this too much to ask? Would two Garrett T3's be about right, or should I go with something else?

I'm planning on rebuilding the entire motor when I do this; 4 bolt main conversion, new pistons, etc. I will probably try to find a used set of Brodix heads or do some head work on what I have.

Also, is it practical to use a carburetor for a turbo, or does that cause problems? I have heard that a carburetor helps cool the air charge, like an intercooler, but I've heard from other sources that carburetors dont' work as well with turbos. Anybody have any input on this?

Yes, I do plan on getting a copy of Corky Bell's Maximum Boost, but right now I'm just looking for ideas.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, check out the Typhoon/Syclone sites. You might be able to get manifolds from someone who went to headers and a turbo from someone who upgraded to ball bearing or hybrid. Other than that, the first upgrade turbos for a Stealth/3000GT should work. I have a pair of TD04L that should be about right for a 4.3, so look for something similar IMO. Corky's book is excellent BTW.

Guest Anonymous

It seems a pair of T3's should be pretty good I'd think, most of the T3's came on 2-2.5 ltr engines a pair should be great. If you can't find the typhoon stuff and plunge ahead anyway, a pair of T3's are cheap as chips in the pick-n-pulls, sounds like a great conversion. Probably have to watch the amount of boost if it has cast pistons in it though. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

Guest zthang43

I was wondering about the T3's because they are so cheap; it would be nice if they were what I needed.

I figured I could probably pick up a set of Sy/Ty manifolds with all the plumbing and make it easier, but if I have the cash I would probably have a set of headers made for it.

From what I have seen so far, it looks like if I score a couple used T3's from a pull-a-part or ebay, and go with low boost levels and a carb so I don't need an intercooler, I should be able to get everything set up and running for under $1000. Does that seem realistic, to someone who has done this?

I'm not sure what kind of hp I could get from a carbureted no-intercooler setup though. Mebbe ol' Corky will have some answers.

Looking at ATI's website at their blowers, they were claiming that using a carb and no intercooler you could get about 80% hp increase. Would the same be true for a turbo setup, or is too much heat transfered from the exhaust?

Oh, and are T3's water cooled?

Volvo 240 and 740 + saab 99/900 (maybe merkur xr4ti) use t3 turbos that can handle close to 250 hp. Cosworth sierra hybrid t3 can handle 350 hp. I would get 2 volvo 240/740 turbos (dont buy the t28 version) watercooled and use both intercoolers if theres room enough. Find a complete syclone fuelsystem or try 2 rover su carburetors used on mg montego turbo but exspect lag. The K-jetronic system from a mercedes v8 could be used if modyfied. www.machperformance.com and www.tobefast.com is devoloping a $$ bolt on setup for the s10 vortec v6.