HybridZ

Hi! new to board and need info!

Ok, I'm thinking of doing a v8 conversion.

I'm semi good working on cars, so I plan on doing the conversion with some help of some friends.

however before I lay down 30-40 bucks for the jtr book I need some info answered.

what engines does the jtr kit allow ?

I'm looking into the minram intake as i wanna stay fi, but not sure on what engines it will actually fit. and what exactly is the difference of tpis? that kinda confuses me!

also are most heads swappable ? for the 350ci ?

like the vortec?

I've searched this board for the miniram info and found little about it and what it works with.

any info you can provide me with i'd appreciate it.

Thankz

Nick

Welcome Nick! Today is the day for newbies.

The JTR kit is for the small block chevy. SBC's from way back when to almost now just bolt up. Your motor questions I'm not quaified to answer but many on this board are and I'm sure will jump in and help. I know Chevy changed the angle of the heads where they bolt up to the intake but I don't know when.

Guest gbvol54

I believe pre Vortec heads are interchangable. Vortec heads are also interchangable with the blocks but require 'special' intake manifolds (either '96+ stock versions or aftermarket Edelbrock Performer models)

Guest Anonymous

Nick,

I read on your other post that you wanted to do an LT-1, I'm doing this swap, and I thought since you asked what enginges work, I'd let you know, if you don't already, which you may, that the LT-1 will botl up with the kit, with some clearancing, but the LS-1, will not, as it is a new or "Second Generation" engine using a new mounting style.

I'm thinking you knew this, but thought I would make sure icon_smile.gif

Good Luck,

Kris

I have the Miniram and so does Fast Frog, but I can't tell you which engines it fits on. All I know is that it fit with what parts I had when I ordered it! Therefore, you should call TPIS and ask them directly just to be safe.

On another note, in some Chevy high performance mag, there was a new manifold which looked just like the Miniram. Maybe it was made by Holley or Edelbrock or something and it may be cheaper. Didn't read enough of it to see if it performs better than TPIS's unit. I saw this article one or two days ago, you should be able to find it at a large bookstore or something.

Owen

That's Holley's new StealthRam and it SHOULD perform VERY well. For the inside scoop on that intake head over to Chevytalk.com and get into the EFI forum. There's a Holley engineer over there who is VERY knowledgable, VERY nice, and who dynos cars for a living. I mentioned the miniram to him and he nearly died at the cost! I'm betting the StealthRam is supposed to compete with it and migh tbe better - he'll know if it is and will give you an objective answer. I trust him and I think Grumpy can speak to his creds as well.... Heh, he can tell you LOT'S of things about the Holley Commander EFI and what they're doing with it. Hrm, need to get over there as I've not hit that site in awhile - he's pretty cool to chat with icon_smile.gif

the miniram you are talking about is made by tpi specalties.it is the bad boy of the tuned port world. very good manifold with great flow capabilities. by bolting it up to a stock tpi 350 it will make 50 more hp. i think they make two versions of it. one for the pre 87 heads and one for the post up until the lt1 motor. i just built a new motor for my buddy with the fastburn heads and the miniram and it is a monster. on the dyno it made 539hp@6300 rpm and 528 lb of torque@3200 rpm. a real stud. the best part is that in a 91 model camaro it gets 21 mpg and pushes it down the 1/4 to the tune of 12.10's on the motor and 11.20s with a 125 shot. remember this is a car that with the driver wieghs in at 3867lbs. put this in a 2500 pound car with better traction then he's got and can you say hello to the low 10s-high 9's. the motor is a 383ci but there is nothing very exotic about it at all any help you you need to set it up let me know. i've used them both a couple of times before.thier web site is: www.tpis.com if you want to see whats possible with one http://www.tpis.com/art/TIIMini.jpg

that motors gives me a stiffy just looking at it flamedevil.gifflamedevil.gifflamedevil.gif