HybridZ

77 280z stock engine to turbo?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i have a 77 280Z and i was wondering if i could put a turbo in the stock engine? what it be worth it? what about a turbo from a 83 280ZXT?

Guest Tom Scala

I turboed the stock 70K mile block in my 78. I've got over 10,000 miles since, running up to 17 psi without a problem yet. I could be on borrowed time but it has lasted longer that I thought it would and is no worse for wear. I did bolt a P90A head on top to lower compression and a turbo oil pump though.

There really aren't that many differences between the turbo & n/a shortblock. Rods,bearings & crank are virtually the same. Mainly the pistons & rings are different. They are still cast on a turbo but have the rings a little furher down on the skirt probably to keep them away from the extra heat & pressure of the boosted chamber.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have been wondering the same thing....I have a stock 77 280z 2+2 that is rust damaged to much to do the v8 conversion. I think givin it a turbo would be the best way to spice it up a bit.

Gotta have fun before the thing falls apart from rust

Guest Anonymous

I know that some people recommend not turboing your car, since there is an engine that was engineered for a turbo, but I am planning on turboing a 280z this summer, with the N/A block, pistons and rings, but a 2mm headgasket P90A head, and ZXT fuel parts (to make sure I have the right A/F mixture) dist. and oil lines. Hope this helps in any way, shape, or form :D:D

Mark

My turboed L24 should be inspiring enough to have others turbo a non turbo block. It's a stock bottem end with around 100K miles with a P90 head. T3/T4 turbo, intercooled, `83 ZXT electronics, and I'm pretty sure I'm running high 13's right now. My CR is 7.54:1.

The turbo pistons are better setup for the forced induction, but as long as you keep an eye on your air/fuel ratios and make sure not to ping (very much) then all should hold together for more than a few thousand miles.