HybridZ

broken tappet?

v8dats

i heard a loud clanking under the valve cover last night.

when i looked at it this morning one of the tappets was sunk down further than all of the others.

so i pulled i off in 2 pieces and a spring and didnt see anything wrong.

i put it back together and it still collapsed.

is it a bad spring? do i replace the whole thing?the head lookks pretty fresh and so does the timing chain and tensioners.how do i fix this? cry2.gif

no its a tappet or whatever its called.the valve is on the opposite end of the rocker.the valve seems to be working fine.i pulled the valve cover and turned the engine over.like i said it is just sunk down more than the others and it clatters

Guest Anonymous

Quit running the engine! Take the spark plugs out and turn the engine by hand and see what happens to that collapsed spring. Either the spring or valve or VALVE SEAT. You may have a valve seat that came out of the head and not allowing the valve to fully close.Run a compression check on the affected cylinder. You will have to pull the head and have a machine shop to install a new seat,

i dont think i have explained myself correctly.first i am not running the engine.second its not a valve spring!!!!

it is on the other end of the rocker that i am talking about.not the valve spring side of the rocker but the other side which would be the passenger side.like i said.i pulled the valve cover out and found the problem.im sure thatthe seat is fine.the valve springs all look the same height.again it is the other side of the rocker were it mounts or sits on not the valve side.i just wanted to know what could have caused it and if anyone can else have experienced this.

Look on your head between the one and two sparkplug and see what it says. If it says P90A, you have a hydraulic lifter head, and you need to replace the lifter. They are pricy though.

If it says P90, then you have a solid lifter head, but I don't think you do from your description. If it is, simple valve adjustment is needed.