HybridZ

Rotating compressor housing for intercooler hook-up

DAW

I'm repositioning my T3 compressor housing on my L28ET in order to make the intercooler hose routing easier. I want it oriented so the outlet on the housing is pointing 45-90 degrees downward from its original position so that I can run the intercooler hose through the lower engine bay. Easy to rotate the housing but the external wastegate actuator/bracket is a problem. It ends up either too close to the outlet port/hose and actuator body, or the upper stud or bolt which anchors the bracket interferes with the cartridge oil input flange & bolts.

I tried a Saab T3 wastegate actuator which looks very different than the Nissan and has an adjustable shorter pushrod but it had its own set of interference problems. I'm planning on fabricating a bracket to preserve the Nissan actuator location while allowing rotation of the compressor housing but I thought I'd query to see if there's an alternate actuator/bracket that just bolts on and permits rotation? I searched the thread earlier this month about wastegate actuators but it's not quite what I'm asking here. Thanks in advance. DAW

I may have solved my problem: '87 LeBaron 2.2L turbo (Garrett) wastegate actuator looks like it's going to work just fine in allowing the compressor outlet angle I need and it has many added benefits... 1)the bracket is beefier with raised edges vs the Nissan flat bracket, 2)I can thread the end of the pushrod and install the Saab end I already have in order to make the rod length adjustable, 3)this may discourage my son-in-law from bringing cars home like they were lost puppies, plunking them down and apparently forgetting about them, 4)in the unlikely event that he were to ever get the LeBaron running we won't have to worry about his getting another speeding ticket, at least not in that car (wastegate flapping open in the breeze). DAW

This might not be an issue, but be aware that what determines when the wastegate opens is the pre-load of the spring in the cannister and using the Chrysler actuator might change the amount of boost you run. Of course, if the new one has a stiffer spring and you wanted to run more boost, then VOILA :D . Also make sure the the rod is properly aligned and has full movement to open the puck lever all the way.

Thanks Scottie. I thought about the potential differences in the spring tensions but I figured they're factory turbo cars and probably built for around 8lbs or in that ballpark which I'm going to raise anyway through the use of an auxilliary spring and adjustable boost control device. The rod alignment is critical and the T3s aren't universal re placement of the gate lever on the housing which is what I was running into with the Saab control rod angle. An adapter bracket which the original actuator bracket is attached to is problematic because it puts the actuator in the wrong plane from which it belongs in order to be correctly calibrated. I was about to weld a 1/8" steel extension piece onto one end of the Nissan bracket, matching the curve, and drill holes to allow offset of the compressor housing but I think this hybrid approach may be better. There are a ton of these cars out there in JYs too. DAW