HybridZ

how much for a turbo engine

v8dats

My latest engine I got for $150. It had a bad turbo, and I pulled it myself. For motor alone, that's a pretty good deal. Your fastest, cheapest initial solution is to find a donor that runs - I found a ZX that was wrapped around a tree and paid $750 (drove it home). Then you have all the support electronics, sensors and wires needed to pull off the swap.

I'd say $350 for a complete long block + intake + turbo from a yard. It's easier if you get as much stuff as possible including the harness, ecu, sensors, etc. The borg warner t5 needs minor custom work to get installed in a early Z. The turbo alternator puts out like 75 amp, which is a great upgrade, the starter is a gear reduction one I believe, also good upgrade. The radiator can be put into the earlier Z and adds better cooling, although it hangs down a little in the front and could get hit if you park your car over one of those parking lot deals. People say its worth it though.

Ross C. is selling a set of CV adapters for the early Z car which would require the use of the CV's out of the 280ZX Turbo. It's possible that the R200 rear end, and brakes could be swapped over from the 280ZX, so it may be easiest to get a complete car if you have the room.