HybridZ

ok have ic question

the volvo one i can see is just not gonna cut it.The question is i have a small one from a thunderbird turbocoupe will it work better or the same as the volvo one?I know the volvo one is much bigger but it's thinner and the thunderbird it is much thicker will it make up the diff?also can you suggest an ic for me just incase i can't get timz's ic?Remember the most money i spent on my car has been the turbo and it was alot for me.I don't have alot of money and the little i do have i have to sneak past my lady so she doesn't know. ;)

Guest Anonymous

Scotty,

It pains me to see you messing around with these small, mediocre-efficient i/c's (no offense), when a good core is just worth so much more! There was a fellow selling his 2-115 spearco for $500 on zdriver or zcar.com (18x6x3.5 core)

however If I was gonna put all the $ in for a spearco I'd opt for a 2-205 the god of all spearco air/airs. 13x24x3.5 (set up so that charge air runs laterally down or up the core rather than all the way across, very very little pressure loss, very high efficiency). That there flows 1280 cfm, and is suitable for everything from miatas to power strokes. Every once in a while they'll go up on ebay for around $450, not too bad IMO. I'm getting a custom core made to my specs for around $430 w/ shipping, TIG welded and extruded core. Very good deal for me! If it pulls through I'll let you know(which I won't know for a good couple months, when I have enough for my turbo and sds, fuel pump, machine work, and other stuff I have yet to buy rolleyesg.gif ). If you REALLY don't have the money I'd shoot for the large npr unit. I work part time over summer and still take a few classes so I'd think I'm on the lowest rung on the Z project funds ladder, if I can afford a good core, everyone can! flamedevil.gif

Get a good i/c and you'll be amazed at the results.

Just my .02--

-980mak rockon.gif

thanks mak i really want a good one but i have to use what i have for now.I have ALOT of bills that's why i don't have that much money to spend on my car.My lady is already freaking out that i spent this much so far and i told her it's nothing compared to what others with car close or slower spent on theirs.I plan to get timz's ic but if he doesn't have a new one he won't sell the one he has.I plan to pull the volvo ic tonight and epoxy the end caps on so they won't leak anymore.It is actually very efficent as for pressure loss with the stock turbo last year it only had 1-2 psi loss at 18 psi.I measured it before the ic and after and it was only about 1-2psi diff which i thought was good.So hopefully it'll hold till i can get a very nice one.The only reason i asked about the small other one i have is cuz i have it and don't have to buy one just incase mine breaks completely.But i will definately get a good one it would be pointless to get another cheap one with all the stuff i have done so far.

I'm in the same boat as you are Scotty and know how it is when you want top of the line only to hear a few pennies rustling in your pockets... cry2.gif Plenty of times when I've woken up in the morning and decided that I'm going to take what I have for now and buy an IC I can afford...you should have seen my eyes light up when you told me all the success you had with the Volvo unit. But I'm glad you took the time to test it out. hmmm $50.00 or $500.00....bills need to be paid...but I need a good IC....I know it's frustrating. I've thought about going the Starion route for a few more $$ but I've read that those aren't great either...looks like I would have to wait another year or so until I can save the money for the higher end lol. At least you have the hybrid turbo....I'm still in the "dreamin" stages. cheers.gif

hey rated i fixed mine so it can handle the turbo now.But i still will get a new one sometime.I took mine apart by bending the tabs back and then i cleaned it very good(it had alot of crap in it) and i put it back together.When i resecured the tabs i used a hammer and hit it all the way down the sides to get a good tight fit and then used a screw driver and a hammer and tapped all the little tabs down so they sealed very well and it worked!!!! It still moves a tiny bit when i rev it up but not even close to what it use to do:) So don't worry the volvo ic is still a good ic in my eyes no matter what anyone says. :D I'll get hopefully 11's this year and i plan to do it with the volvo ic i have faith in it smile.gif

(set up so that charge air runs laterally down or up the core rather than all the way across, very very little pressure loss, very high efficiency).

everything i have read and even spearco told me the exact oposite. charge air running up and down does not cool as well as side to side. almost every front mount you see runs side to side. not enough surface when running top to bottom.

Guest Anonymous

Shane,

To address that, you said "not enough surface area". I'm speaking in terms of when the surface area is exactly the same. As in, a 20w x 10h x 3d

laterally-running core, versus a 20h x 10w x 3d, vertically running core will have the exact same surface area (same efficiency), and heat exchange area. However, a top-bottom flowing core will have more individual tubes, less pressure loss. I first read this in Max boost, p. 59. Look at spearco's of similar design and you'll see what I mean. Were Z heads cross flowing, I would probably not argue to a cross-flowing i/c to deal with less plumbing (or run opposite facing endtanks on an up-down core).. the siamesed endtanks on an up-down core work perfectly for Z's , right out the compressor, up the core, and to the t/b. Although not too significant this results in a little less plumbing also. To me it seems to be the most efficient way of setting up the i/c. I believe this is why most of the hi-po l28 setups (james, scottie's spearco, etc) are done this way. Just thought I'd clear that up.

So scotty, I'm still curious about tim's core. I'll check on i/c's on ebay sometime soon and I'll list any cheap ones that seem decent (sometimes people rip apart cores and reweld tanks for better efficiency, then sell em). Z yall!

-980mak rockon.gif

Corky Bell's book recommends an up and down core with lots of passages. Side to side may work a little better, but generally pressure drop is higher.

I would rather have a less pressure drop at the sacrifice of a little efficiency since the pressure drop affects the turbo.

Thats my .02.