HybridZ

who's running a turbo car with nos?

spork

I've got an 83 280zxt currently running 15-16 pounds of boost off the stock turbo, and I was just curious about who out there has done the turbo and nos on thier car? Whats a good way to figure out how much nos to throw at your motor without blowing it up? If any one has any experience on this I'd love to hear about it. I don't plan on doing it real quick, but I've been throwing around the idea for awhile now and want to know whats possible. Do I need to think about tearing apart my motor and dropping in forged pistons and so on? Or can the stock motor handle lets say a 50-75 shot of nos while running 15 pounds of boost. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

James

Guest Anonymous

IMO the best use for the turbo/nos combo is the purge/boost spoolup. Provided you can get some serious hook-up I know at least a few guys that run purge setups on their cars for some seriously low 60'. A fellow by the handle sss510 has a 510 w/ turbo l28/nos. If I'm not mistaken his is a modest setup, around 300+rwhp, for autocross or roadracing(?). Its probably the most notable setup I can think of though, you might want to check out his pics and talk to him.

He also has a t56 modified bh to fit the l28. One of the nicest 510's I've ever seen hail.gif

-980mak rockon.gif

I know a guy who did the boost NOS thing. He backed the timing and boost down a little, and ran at least 75 hp thru a single fogger. He said his car was faster that way that running bigger boost.

NOS will spike your boost to high at its current set-up, so I would back it way down and then move it up in increments until you get the performance you are looking for.

Guest Anonymous

I knew a Mustang guy who ran a supercharger and NOS on a strong engine and went too radical with both and blew off some carb parts into the engine and boy did that engine BLOW UP :eek::eek: I have never seen such a sorry sight. The guy ended up taking the engine to the dump because the local scape yards would not accept it.

Before that he had the fastest Mustang in town, but after that he gave up cars for good, what a waste!! twak.gif

Mark

I ran 19psi and a 65shot jetted way too rich. With race gas I did not touch the timing and on the street I had a pressure switch cut it off at 8psi, only using it to spool the turbo. Running the NOS ontop of 19psi was definitely noticed. However, jetting it too rich made it start to crap at the top of 3rd gear. I went went almost 97mph in the 1/8th with the NOS as opposed to 94mph without it.