HybridZ

Sad Sad Night....

D83ZXT

I have a question for you. My #2 piston -Total Seal Ring went bye-bye on me. Wet test confirmed my worst fears. What I would like to know from you guys smile.gif Is what rings are you running on your highly modified turbo's. What have you guys stayed away from. My ZXT only had 7000-7500 miles on her. With no detonations or leanness per my EGT's and monitoring with the TEC unit.

Donna

Sorry to hear that Donna. I didn't meet you at BlackHawk but I did meet your boyfriend. Nice guy.

Hopefully others will reply so we know what to stay away from. Good luck in fixing it.

Guest jt240z

D83ZXT,

How do you know that the ring has failed? Kind of strange to loose only one ring and so quickly. You could have holed a piston, broken a ring land, burnt or even bent a valve. You could only have a valve adjusted too tight. I've run the Total Seal rings for over 25,000 miles now and the last time I did a leak down test (about 2,000 miles ago) I still showed less then 2% leakage.

As for other rings, I've used Hastings premium and NISMO. If you're concerned about Total Seal rings, then my choice would be the NISMO factory rings.

I have Sealed power plasma moly coated ductile iron rings on my Ross pistons, and have lots of mileage on them with no problems.

The factory chrome ones are good, but you really need to use a torque plate when boring and/or honing since the chrome will not seal well if your bore is not perfectly round.

The total seal rings are supposed to be good stuff.

I noticed a little white smoke coming from my breather from the valve cover. I pulled the spark plug. Did a compression test on all six. All reading very close together, except number 2 cylinder. (Down to 50 PSI) Pulled the valve cover to make sure my valve wasn't too tight. Nope, it was fine. Then we put some oil into it, Then compression came back up. What are the "other" Tests that could tell me different? Whether it's a piston or ring? My pistons are Ross's forged.

Thanks for the replies smile.gif

Donna

OUCH. I know how that feels. Sorry to hear your having some probs with that kick a$$ Z.

I may be newbie to turbos, but my high reving N/A sported chromemoly rings. Even having a piece of spring steel get sucked in didn't break a ring. Pistons and ring lands, yes, rings no.

I'm using NISMO rings in my new VG.

Donna, just a suggestion. Put compessed air to the cylinder, and pull out your dipstick and feel for a breeze. If its not there, check your coolant passages etc.. cant hurt to check it out before you do a teardown.

You may want to try to find a mechanic with a boroscope to look in the motor and check for scrached cylinder walls or stray debris.

ORR, just bite the bullet and pull the head, but once your that far.. you know how it goes.

Sorry to hear your having probs, my total seals are fine as of right now.

Evan

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to hear about your problems with new efi onboard.a suggestion-when you get the motor fixed have the injectors flow tested .i had rc engineering do a set for me.they sent back a printout with the injectors.i can get a borescope if you want to look into the cylinder but i think it is too late.when you start to make big horsepower your cushion for error gets very small.that is why most people recommend set up of efi on a dyno.a combination of a lean cylinder and a bad tank of gas on a hot day will do it.just because injecters are new does not mean you could have got one that is not up to spec.i would suspect injector on #2 cylinder is lean.

Thanks Everyone for your input smile.gif

But this doesn't look good :(

Hey Randy!

I didn't see you at the show :(

Number 2 looks pretty bad. Scarred cylinder wall on one side. This weekend the block will be pulled, so I can tear that down and see how bad this piston is. My RC's 550cc injectors are brand new with a blueprint flow sheet that came with them. She wasn't running lean at all before. Only thing I can come up with is... maybe I didn't have the quick disconnet on tight enough??? Maybe I bumped it while polishing up my throttle rail. Plus, I detailed the motor before the show. I only run Union 76 91 octane in her. I am running a K&N billet fuel filter too.

I am wondering if this can be fixed, buy one new piston and a ring set, or will I have to go with a bigger bore on all six, or just pull my other donor turbo motor block and start fresh again.

Darn it, Darn it, Darn it.

You're more then welcome to swing on by.

Donna

PS.. How's that speed boat of yours?

I think the oil in the cylinder and higher compression is the litmus test for bad rings. If you have a lean injector, you may need more than just a ring set. Ouch. Hate to be the bearer of news like that.

My recent acquisition has the same issue, low compression on the two back cylinders, although number 5 is only 10 psi down, number 6 is 30 or so. Of course when I got the car it smoked like a pig since it had a homemade intake with a Ford 2 barrel , now with the SU's it is not smoking. Go figure.