HybridZ

Mod 82-83 turbo Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I know that this question has probably been asked severl times, but what are some mods for a turbo Z. I don't have one right now, but I'm kinda looking. Right now I just have an 83 280 ZX 2+2 N/A. For the turbo, I'm looking for mods such as boost controler, intercooler, getting more fuel to engine, intake, exhaust, new boost gauge(I'v heard they are very inacurate), what about the stock drive line. Would I need to replace the tranny, half-shafts rear end or anything like that. I just don't know how much power I will have and how much power all that stuff can handle. I'v heard of people running up to 23 PSI. I never plan to run that much though. Any help or tips will help.

Thanks,

Ben

Originally posted by Ben Bob:

I know that this question has probably been asked severl times, but what are some mods for a turbo Z. I don't have one right now, but I'm kinda looking. Right now I just have an 83 280 ZX 2+2 N/A. For the turbo, I'm looking for mods such as boost controler, intercooler, getting more fuel to engine, intake, exhaust, new boost gauge(I'v heard they are very inacurate)

, what about the stock drive line.

Would I need to replace the tranny, half-shafts rear end or anything like that. I just don't know how much power I will have and how much power all that stuff can handle. I'v heard of people running up to 23 PSI. I never plan to run that much though. Any help or tips will help.

Thanks,

Ben

280zxt is the toughest of the early z cars, you probably wont have to do anything at mild modified levels, trans is also pretty tough.

you have cv half shafts which are very strong,

i doubt you would have breakage problems unless the rubber bushings in your car are damaged.

check out RON's post in buy sell trade, he has the z31 ecu and maf upgrade, it is plug and play in your car and you will feel the difference instantly, with exhaust and mild bolt ons about 15hp at wheels difference with different characteristics,

intercooler nice at boost above 8lbs. fuel mods not neccesary, maybe fuel pump and better regulator, big exhaust 3" or so all the way back, and a boost gauge maybe. 240sx and tps swap, also pretty easy.

i run all of the above mods and a couple more in a s30 body with no smog equipment on a stroker turbo motor with forged pistons, still not running all the way right but im having a ball doing it!

Guest Anonymous

where do I get parts though?? That's my thing, I have ideas, just don't know where to look. I know some stuff wiil be at a junkyard, but something like the intercooler, or the boost gauge I would want to buy new, And what about a possible turbo upgrade?? But I want this car to be a mild race car, or maybe a little more than that actually. I posted at Zcarchat.com, and someone there said come here.

The best thing to do is start with a turbo car, since it has all the required parts. There are several turbo shops in texas, such as Alamo, Cartech( Bell Engineering), Forced Performance, Majestic Turbo. Any one of these can help, althouh Cartech has the most experience with Z cars.

Swapping the fuel injection set-up to the 300ZX one like Len suggested is a good upgrade too.

You can also search thru the archives and see what you come up with. There is more than one way to go about making a turbo Z fast. Just depends on your preference and your wallet.