HybridZ

Would fiberglass work for L28-t?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Now that I know I'll be doing a l28 swap to my '72, I have a few questions for the L6 gurus out there. Anyone think a fiberglass manifold could work? I really have this neat yet functional design in my head. I'm thinking of making one that would similar to a collector exhaust. It'll be one pipe but will look like it's one big pipe that's branched six. Keep in mind, I plan on running a stacks TB setup.

Hrm, I'm not so sure you could easily get it strong enough. I've seen V8 turbos that have expanded PVC from the pressure - a link to such a beast was posted not too long ago. I'd put PVC strength over 'glass so....

Maybe carbon fiber? The V8 was only running like 15PSI too - I think they said pressure was something like 50lbs per square inch at that boost pressure but I'm not sure of the math.

Guest Anonymous

Well actually here's what I was thinking, weld 6 1.6"x 1" (runners) to a main pipe (intake plenum) measuring 2.3" in diameter. Fiberglass and bondo would be added on to shape. It's difficult to explain, you'd have to see a diagram to get a clearer picture. I was wondering if fiberglass or bondo can withstand that kind of heat without weird results (odor, fire!!!! icon_eek.gif ) Carbon fiber sounds cool though, imagine the weight savings!

Guest Anonymous

Probably not bondo... But I see no reason carbon fiber couldn't be used. Carve a mold out of foam then cover the soon to be plenum with carbon fiber (maybe use aluminum stub manifolds to bond the carbon fiber to). I bet it'd be trick.

Regards,

Lone

Ahaa, my research area...composite materials. Two things to consider:

1) radial expansion caused by boost

2) operating temperature resin will be exposed to.

A good fiber resin combo will easily handle the radial expansion, but you will need to choose a thermoset resin that will handle 300-400F radiant temperatures. A hand layup'd manifold will look like ass even if you can somehow vacuum bag it. The best material for the money would be carbon fiber and you can buy it in a braided sleeve. I picked up a bunch of free samples of carbon fiber and carbon/kevlar sleeving material as I will probably make my own composite intake manifold. Keep in mind if you do not have the experience and knowledge you will not be able to make a nice manifold. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000

I think fiberglass is a good bit stronger than PVC. It also should be more heat resistant.

I know there are high temp epoxies out there that can be used in applications where the fiberglass will be subjected to moderate amounts of heat (I think I read 300 degrees, but I'm not sure about that)

• 9 months later...

Yeah but you guys are forgetting one thing, the intake sits over a very hot turbo. I would bet a sustained run would see the bottom of that glass manifold start to char. You also would have to consider the proximity of the manifolds mating surfaces to the head as well. Very tight confines there.

I am sure you could insulate it to a good degree, but if the heat every did manage to melt/burn thru, you would not have an easy time getting the car home if you were out and about.

Just someone's .02

Guest Anonymous

Good point Lockjaw..

I've seen people do this for some serious heat protection:

ceramic coat the turbine housing (or thermal blanket), make an aluminum heat shield, and get that coated as well.

I would be hail.gif2thumbs.gifrockon.gif to see it done in CF. James if you do make a composite intake, don't forget the pics!

-980mak rockon.gif

I would think you would be looking at some major ceramic coating. I just hate the idea of getting stranded, or worse yet loosing a race due to a leak.

You know how it feels when an intercooler line pops when you are really moving and on boost. It sucks. The cool thing is an intercooler line can be put back on, a big burnt hole in your intake cannot.

I would like to see pictures as well, and wonder what James thoughts are on the heat generated by the turbo. Could the intake be sheilded properly?