HybridZ

Where to start???

KG78Z

I am new to this forum andI :confused: realize this had already been covered and I have searched and gotten some excellent info, I still need more here is some back ground. I recently purchased a 280ZX turbo so I could put the engine in my 78 280Z. Since then nothing has been done. The engine, an 81 zxt, has no turbo, and no ecu. Now the way I see it this gives me some flexability when it comes time to put the engine in my car. I do not know how fast I want it to be but I will want it to be buildable so that I can make it faster as I become more of a speed junkie. Do I start with a stock turbo or go to the t3/t4, stock ecu or some sort of upgrade. Any help or being pointed in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Guest Anonymous

Depends on your finances. If I were doing it and could afford it, I'd go aftermarket computer and spring for the hybrid turbo since you need one anyway. That said, if dollars aren't flying out of your wallet, a stock computer with a stock turbo would work ok up to a point. Larger injectors, a intercooler (this is a must for a performance turbo IMHO if you want to run some boost and not ping), maybe a 240sx throttle body, large free flowing exhaust. The only issue going that route from what I've seen on our forums here is tweaking the AFM to understand there is more air therefore more fuel required. Something like a SDS, TecIII or Haltech would be IMHO very cool and allow you to tune out the system more easily than the stocker. Just some idea'.

Regards,

Lone

I would also go with the hybrid turbo, the cost would not be that much more since you don't have a core turbo.

You could probably come up with a stock ecu fairly inexpensively and at least get the car up and running. I can tell you compared to a JWT set-up or aftermarket EFI set-up, the stock one sucks. You can work with it some and make it better.

I would also do the intercooler and a 3 inch exhaust. The exhaust probably helps the most since it is a building block for all other mods. Doesn't matter how big a turbo you put on there if you can't get the exhaust out, it isn't going to run very good.

You are welcome to call Ira or Steve at 334-742-0789 and see if they have an ECU laying around.

Good luck.