HybridZ

9 second Turbo L6 Z car

Lockjaw

Guest Anonymous

yeah...the intakes are from zprace...in n.c....i find 9 unbelievable...unless we're talkin' 1/8...1-2 of the big v-8 z's "might" do it...i've not seen any l28s much better than 12's i think scottygnz and scottiemiz run 12's maybe 11's ?......not 9's.....i cant 'magine getting enough hp to the ground to do it (even if you had that much)...in one of these cars.....s

Actually we have a guy in the 11's with an L6.

There are lots of problems with the 9 second claim as far as I am concerned. I don't like the missing front radiator support just from a structural standpoint. I also have problems with the stock FI system due to the low rev limiter setting, although it is possible they hacked that somehow. The MPH means he is running means he is in 5th gear. What about the differential. I mean an R200 is strong, but that is a lot of power.

I also don't like the big hogged out holes in the head, and would like to see the valve side of the head too. I also wonder what they have done to the engine, are they using a different camshaft etc.

I have been avoiding a response to this post because I hate to question someone's claim w/o having all the facts. However, here are the "facts" as I see them. Assuming this car is street-driven, I will guess at a race weight of 2,600lbs and a 9.63 @ 147 requires about 640rwhp. Less weight, less HP, etc. If the engine made 738rwhp, then it has the capability of running 9.20 @ mid-150s. Is the L6 capable of 738rwhp? I do not see why not, BUT, it is going to need a LOT OF HELP with exotic bolt-ons, i.e., engine management, fuel system, I/C, turbo, etc. I do not believe the claim of using the stock computer and I wil dispute the claim if the engine in question is the one pictured. Here are some of the things I see that make me skeptical: size of the I/C plumbing, size of the fuel rail and fuel lines (I am guessing that is a -6 return with a -8 feed), Single turbo running only 24psi to make 700+rwhp could not fit under a stock exhaust manifold, TimZ is correct in that he sees a cannister and rod for an internal wastegate.

3" I/C plumbing would make it believable but those are not 3". Look at the hot side pipe and you will see it steps up in size twice. Now look at the TB side. 3" = 75+mm which would make for a huge TB but look at the how the pipe is fitted to the TB.

A 150mph drag car needs brakes but a parachute is required at 145 so decent brakes will suffice.

Scottie, if you will notice to in one of the pics, there is a relay mounted on the intake, and there appear to be additional injectors mounted in the intake too.

I don't know if one of the two cars is the claimed car or not. I thought it looked like one of them had 3 inch intercooler plumbing, which I would think would be adequate for 9's.

I tell what else, if it run's 150 in the quarter, he has to have done something to make it stop. Stock brakes would not deal well with that I would think.

What if this guys comes back and says he is running a junkyard motor with stock cam and fuel injection, save for the additional injectors?

Now that would be a story.

Are you talking about the one with red piping or regular aluminized? I think the aluminized looks like 3 inch, but it may only be 2.5.

It would sure be nice to get a look at the real car and see what the deal is. Maybe he will get the thing into turbo mag like he said.

Did you see the extra injectors and the relay?

He may have a larger than 60 mm tb considering how much he hogged out the intake ports and intake. I would think you would want a big one myself, since it appears it is not much of a street car.