HybridZ

vg30det in a 4X4 nissan truck update

warrenp

a while ago i posted some questions up in replacing the 2.4 liter engine in my truck with a

nice vg30det. sorry i'm having problems trying to get pictures up, but here is what i have done so far. my new transmission is in placefit perfectlt where the old one was. now i'm trying to jam the new motor in i'm just having some slight minor problems. i have to move the drivers side motor mount up about 8 inches and i think i'm going to have to try to move the steering over 1/2 inch i think that do-able. but over all it looks like it will fit. i did my first test fit last night looked very promicing.

also how well do you guys know the wiring harness in these motors??? looks fairly straight foward. i'm jusk looking for help just incase.

I too have an '89 Pathfinder 4WD that I love dearly but it is DOG slow. I've often thought that that the VG30dett swap would be what it needs. I'll be following your project with interest. Do you guys know if that motor will bolt up to the stock Auto trans?

clint: the oil pan is different. a 300zx pan will never fit. i had to buy a new oil pan and oil pick up tube to fit in the pan correctly the 300zx tube was not long enought or deep enough for the new pan. as far as the AC i took that whole system off. same as the clutch fan. i want all the space i can get. the engine bay is very cramped. the turbo does not hit the frame rail. it hits the drivers side motor mount. but that doesn't matter any way, because i have to move the mount foward to line up to the mount on the motor.

my next big problem is where the exhaust cross over the transmisson well it doesn't fit in the truck that way. i'm gonna have to cut a sedction out of the fire wall and set it back 3-4"so i can bolt the motor to the trans.

rick: twin turbo's are cramed in a 300zx. i would hate to work on one in a truck. uness it was a skyline motor may be a bit esier but i donno if the length of the motor would fit? i guess with enought money and work it will fit ;)

jason: thanks i'm gonna need all the help i can get on this one.

• 2 years later...
Did you ever get this in? I am considering this engine.

Yes he did get it in, but last time I talked to him he still did not get it running as the electrical issues where a bit of a mystery to him. I am doing this swap as well, I haven't gotten that far into it yet as I've still need my pathfinder everyday so I've been reluctant to disable it. I bought a extra 4x4 oil pan and installed a pipe for the oil drain coming off the turbo. Next I'm gonna swap out the pathfinder throttle-body and intake manifold and replace it with a 300zxt intake and wire up the multiport injection with ecu. I'll run it N/A for a bit while I get the exhaust manifolds fabricated. (I'm not going with the 300zxt exhaust manifolds like warren did) Instead the crossover will run across the front of the engine and eliminate the need to put in a lift kit, hammer out the firewall a bit, put a spacer between the steering box and frame and relocate the alternator and engine mount. I plan on mounting the turbo over the left inner fender-well opposite of the battery. Like I said it'll be running N/A for a bit but once all the mods are prepared I will pull the pathfinder engine block and drop in the 300zxt block. If you have any questions feel free to email me at: eyeamdeath@hotmail.com