HybridZ

Anyone try a stock rad?

Hi all..let the questions begin....I finally got my JTR manual, and I've already read every word of it twice...

Now they recommend all kinds of different rads, and say the stock rad is not good enough. BUT I dont have a stock rad anymore..I have a 280zxt automatic rad..which is much bigger than even a 280z rad..I had to modify the mounting points a bit to get it to fit in the car..Oh and an electric fan..

So will it work? I'm just doing a fairly mild 350..nothing extreme..I only ask, because this rad is nearly new, and I'd hate to get rid of it for nothing...oh and another thing..I live in the great white north...no desert near me...hehehehe

Thanks all

Scott.

Scott, I had a high-efficiency 3-core early style radiator and even with a 10" & 12" fans it could not cool the GN in 85* weather with a 160* thermostat. It probably did not help that I have an Isuzu NPR I/C, oil cooler and B&M trans cooler ALL in front of the radiator. Luckily I found someone on Zcar.com to buy it and I bought a 24"x19" Griffin from Summit, $188 to my door. So far one of the best investments made in this project. Not only does it look good, but with a shrouded 16" fan from the junkyard, the engine stays pegged at 178-180*.

Today I put a racing stripe in my shorts eek.gif when out of frustration with electrical problems, I laid into it from 60mph and stayed in it just short of burying the speedo which was probably a corrected 140mph with the 3.90 gearing. It happened so quick and the Z did not exactly feel stable at that speed. That was one scary blast and I will not do that again.

Said all of that to tell you that the water temp SHOT up to 188* biggrin.gif and was back to normal within a few minutes. It was 99* today in Orlando!! The JTR radiator works because that is what I had in my V-8 Z, but if you can sell the 280ZX rad and anything thing else, the Griffin, IMO, is a good or better alternative. You might get away with the stock rad and a reaaly good fan but hate to see you have to switch later.

Scottie

Scott, I am using the stock radiator in my 77. My engine is far from mild though(475hp) and i have not had any cooling problems as of yet, BUT i do not have an A/C in the car either. I am using a 16" electric fan as well. I have around 1000 miles on the car

as of right now....