HybridZ

Donor LT-1

Guest steven96

Guest steven96

What cars did these go in? This maybe a stupid question, but I am new to all these things. It seems they came in the Z28 and corvettes. What years though? Which years are the best? The LT-1 is the easier than the LS-1 right. They also used the T-56 tranny right? Thanks for the answer on all these little questions.

Steven

Guest steven96

Would be easier just to use a crate motor? Would it be cheaper just to get a 350 with around 300hp? Just wanting to know if they are easier to install than a LT-1.

Thanks Steven

don't go by my word alone but i do believe the LT1 will work with the T56 since a LT1 is basically a chevy 350 engine but with fuel injection

as far as crate engine

a LT1 crate engine will be purty expensive

your best bet would be to find a used LT1 out of a corvette as the ac compressor was mounted on the Driver side and might work better there.

due to camaro had the ac on lower passenger side and with the JTR setback method the ac would be in the way so you had to have it relocated

not sure if the brakets off the corvette will fit the camaro or not but hey if it works dont' complain.

not to mention the corvette had 4 bolt mains which made the engine a bit stronger and able to handle more power

you should be able to find a used engine with all sensors and ecu and harness with trans for about 3-5k

if there is anything you see wrong with this info please correct me icon_biggrin.gif

as i'm still learnging about the V8's and the swap

Guest steven96

I was thinking instead of Lt-1 use a chevy 350 crate motor. Wondering which one would be easier to put in a Z. Since the Crate motor would probably go Carbed would it be easier or the LT-1 since it comes with all the fuel injection stuff. Is all that electronic injection make the install a lot harder?Thanks

Steven

here buy this

http://www.dallasexportsales.com/383sb.html

add a EDELBROCK VICTOR JR intake and headers and a 700-750 cfm carb and kick a$$ on 90% of the cars out there! or if your the kind of guy that like a challange and has friends to help and spare money, go just a little crazy--> (roll cage great idea)

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevyBigBlockV8s/Ultimate_502.html

either option will kick a$$ on a stock or mildly modifyed LT1 icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

now if you want to get even with all those rear tires that you have hated all your life and seldom get those nice front tires dirty

buy and install this

http://www.theengineshop.com/engine4.shtml

but you will NEED A ROLL CAGE,DANA 60 rear and a 4-link suspension ETC with that!http://www.theengineshop.com/engine4.shtml icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Steven82:

What cars did these go in? This maybe a stupid question, but I am new to all these things. It seems they came in the Z28 and corvettes. What years though? Which years are the best? The LT-1 is the easier than the LS-1 right. They also used the T-56 tranny right? Thanks for the answer on all these little questions.

Here is some info on the LT1, related to swapping it into a Fiero. Much of it applies to your questions as well.

edit:

http://www.fierolt1.com/faq.htm

duh

Guest Anonymous

The crate motor works fine and is a easy install. I used the goodwrench motor and have yet to increase the HP yet.

Mine has a weiand stealth and headers so it may put out 260 hp or so, but the torque at over 300 is awesome for a stock low compression smog motor. At 1300.00 bucks its a decent alternative and has a warrantee. *shrug* Going to 58cc heads and a 268-270 comp cam or something likewise will net an easy 330 hp.

Another good motor is they're 300hp crate motor, very decent for the money. These motors do have cast pistons though, so you don't want to RPM through the roof probably. Some of the performance crate motors have hyper type pistons which if I could'nt have forged would be ok.

Good luck with your project,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

The LT1's came in the following:

92-96 Corvettes (some 96's had LT4's like the GS's)

93-97 Z28's and SS Camaro's

94-96 Impalla's and some Caprice's like cop cars

The Impalla LT1's also came in smaller displacement than 350 (like 4.3l??), so be careful. Also, the Impalla engines did not have aluminum heads, making them less desirable, but cheaper.

Another thing worth mentioning, the Corvettes used ZF 6sp trannys where the Camaro's used T56's. The Corvette LT1 and LT4 engines have 4 bolt main bearing caps.

IMHO, the best years would be 96-97 due to the improved vented opti-spark ignition. My 97 Z28 has 80k miles with no opti problems at all. The opti-spark has a bad rap due to the early versions, but the truth is, the later versions are quite reliable.

Hope that helps some,

Mike

Impallas ALL had 350cube LT1s - never the smaller engine. That same chassis had the smaller engine but it was called a Caprice. The iron headed 350 in the Impallas was down a bit on HP - like 250 I think. I'd try to find an aluminum headed engine. Our 95 Impalla SS has a vented Opti I'm pretty sure. I dunno' when the switchover was but you can upgrade or vent an older one if you really want to...

quote:

Originally posted by Steven82:

Would be easier just to use a crate motor?

Your wiring will certainly be easier but their are a lot of benefits IMO to an LT1. I see them as a helluva deal and I'd pick one in a flash if I was doing a swap from near scratch.

Figure an engine that'll easily put down 300+rwhp with easy/cheap mods reliably and efficiently with fine state of tune would cost a lot to build from scratch.

IMO an LT1 is like the above engine with the fine EFI setup (OEM setup is great) thrown in for free considering yard prices of 1500-2500 for the engine with EFI/harness etc. Of course lots of other motors are great values, I just see an LT1 as a great motor (even ignoring costs) for anyone for whom ~330rwhp or less is plenty adequate. Pricing out what it'd cost to have same manners/mileage/powerband would cost a lot more to build from scratch. A few friends have been racing them for a few years now with fine results.

Given they couple easily with a T56 and in the heavy OEM cars they can fetch 30mph highway it's a dream come true in a Z swap IMO. I just wish they'd been as available when I did my swap as they are now.

best o'luck (yes wiring efforts are certainly worth the EFI IMO, and I enjoyed/lived with my carbed V8 for 5 yrs or more till I got fuel infected last summer and been loving it since icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

Impallas ALL had 350cube LT1s - never the smaller engine. That same chassis had the smaller engine but it was called a Caprice. The iron headed 350 in the Impallas was down a bit on HP - like 250 I think. I'd try to find an aluminum headed engine. Our 95 Impalla SS has a vented Opti I'm pretty sure. I dunno' when the switchover was but you can upgrade or vent an older one if you really want to...

Sorry about that, you are correct about the Impalla's all having 350ci LT1's. I guess I should have referred to them as B body cars. Some very late production 95 LT1's had the vented opti, as well as OBDII. OBDII isn't a big deal though, I'm running a OBDI pcm with my 97, and I also use LT1_Edit with no problems or codes.

Mike