HybridZ

turbo question

I actually am looking into a new turbo, but I would like it more for autocross and track days. I see everyone always talking about drag racing, which I will do some of, but I am more interested in a nice turbo for the road courses. If anyone has a suggestion I am all ears. 2thumbs.gif Thanks

t3/t4 seems to be the best setup for street and strip. A T04E compressor with a stage III turbine would be pretty sweet. T04B's aren't bad at all either, just depends how much power you're looking to make, most T04B housings will fit with no spacers. I'm running a t04b with stock turbine housing, but only running like 7psi right now. It spools very fast even though I'm not running inside of it's highest effeciency point it seems to be far better than the stock compressor. After I get my fuel deal figured out I should be able to boost 13-14psi with my modded starquest intercooler.

I personally think even for street driving the stock t3 is a bit small, it seems to spool so dang fast, making you think you have more to come when you put your foot into it all the way, but there really isn't much after that first kick. That kinda setup make the car kinda jerky feeling, and could leave a passenger wonder about your own driving habits. My larger throttle body probably contributed to this though.

I'm running 370cc/min injectors, but for the boost level I'm running with the intercooler the larger injectors are not needed.

With the stock AFM when I'd crank up the boost and try to suck more air through it would close up on me, acting like a 2nd throttle body that I have no control over (like a govener). The car wouldn't run lean because it couldn't get enough air through to make it lean. I think the reason is, is because I'm running the larger injectors so I had to tighten up the AFM door a little for an "okay" idle, and also my engine is only 2.4L.. I think because of the smaller displacement I don't have quite enough suction to drive the door open and keep the power up. The car seems to have awesome power and response, and I know I have far more power than a stock L28ET, but for some reason the stock AFM w/ the larger injectors just isn't cutting it for me.

Hopefully converting the system over to a MAF setup will fix most of my problems. I'm hoping that after I don't have that restrictive AFM there I can crank up the boost and get into the mid to low 13's. I think I'd be happy with that since I don't have much invested.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Trouble, did you get your car running right? Hope you figured it out. I like TO4B's for cars that have stock or mild modifications to the fuel injection. If you stepp it up and go with larger injectors and maybe a programable or reprogramed fuel computer then a Stage III TO4E will flow enough to make the big hp. A autocross car wouldn't need too much of a punch so a TO4B should fit that bill and you may want a stage II or III exhaust wheel to keep the boost from spiking you into a spin maybe even larger to have smooth power curve that looks like a trial and error type R&D.

Guest De Schmaydee

...i have a T04b on my 82zx....i pretty pleased w/it...it bolts right up and is a lot better than the stock t3....mine has been machined out for a 57trim...and the t-3 side is stage3...and i use an external wastegate...

...ive just had it 2-3 weeks....

...i'm running 9psi w/o an i.c. right now...no probs.....except for those people slo-poking along @ 90mph on the interstate........s