HybridZ

What are signs turbo is about to bite it!

Len

Generally you have a squealing noise from the compressor touching the housing because of increased bearing clearance. It machines little bits of aluminum off of the housing and feeds them to your engine. If it gets bad, you will have slow/late boost and/or lower than normal boost. You should see what happens when the compressor gets FOD (Foreign Object Damage). I don't have any pics but it sure grinds up the wheel. I just laugh when I see these $5K turbos attached to $15K engines in Turbo Mag/Sport Compact, etc , with no air filter or even mesh over the inlet of the turbo. Definitly not a street car. twak.gif

Doug

Thanks for reply Doug. I guess once turbo starts to "whine" or "grind" better fix it or else expect alot more serious damage to rest of car.

Was also wondering cost wise as compared with future benefit.

What would be the best next step to take?

1. rebuilding it myself (never have but willing to try).

2. sending it out to be rebuild. If so where to send?

3. Wondering if for the future benefit would it be cost effective to get an oil and watercooled turbo. I've heard that's the way to go for longevety? As compared to my stock turbo?

4. Hey if changing to water/oil cooled would be a good idea. Then maybe the time to go with a minor upgrade that wouldn't cause major modifications to engine/exaust etc. Would be in order?

Len,

I have a simple t04b and stage 2 turbine wheel. It also has the water and oil center section that you are wondering about. The larger compressor will make a tremendous difference in the car. If you are still using the stock turbo and change to one like this or larger you won't beleive the difference. The upgrades are not much more than a regular rebuild as you will proubly need to have the wheels replaced any way. Why not do it now? I didn't have to modify anything other than the way the compressor pipe fits . It's fits a little different than before. Shouldn't require any changes though. There are so many options out there that it will make your head spin. Several of the guys on here have real connections with turbo builders or that is what they do. Hopefully one can help you with a choice and a deal when it come time to rebuild.

Cody

If my turbo does go out. I would like to try to go with a water cooled which I figure would mean a total replacement of my old one. If that is the case then hey go for an upgrade! (HA! more power b_hand.gif ).

Now I don't know what you have for upgrades to your car. I've got

370cc injectors

240SX TB

1st gen DSM BOV

2 1/4" piping going to a approx. 14 x 28 x 3" isuzu NPR I/c

the 2 1/2" DP (we talked about :D )

3" exaust

I really don't want to upgrade to much on the turbo to cause me to have to for example increase fuel to support said upgrade. Like the need to go with larger injectors or have to change to stand along engine computer to remove stock AFM to allow more air (SDS or Holly commander etc.)

For example what you said "T04b with stage 2 turbine wheel" Is all Greek to me. I gather from reading posts my stock turbo is a t-3 (don't know the brand). I read where people have installed larger wheels like a t-4 wheel to increase output and keep the same housing. Just don't want to do an overkill and don't have a clue what to look for or to ask for or where to buy such an upgrade. Oh yea Cody I sent you snailmail (two letters)

Len,

About the turbo's when you have a larger one that flows more air more efficently you just don't run as much boost. 13 psi from a t-3 is like 10 or 11 from a hybrid. That all depends on the flow capabilities of the unit. The reason that people upgrade is to run a more effient compressor for the amount of CFM that they need to produce the amount of desired HP. A smaller compressor may can produce the same air flow at a higher pressure but, it will do it with much more heat then the larger compressor. Heat is the enemy! That's why we intercool our cars. Right! The stage 2 turbine wheel is simply a wheel that is cut a little on the end to help reduce backpressure and allow for more flow out the back end of the unit. Remember if it comes in it must go out. Sounds like you have several items already to produce a good amount of HP. I think most turbo shops are doing just about all water cooled anyway so it shouldn't be a proublem. Our turbos are Garret and they are very interchangeble with other units from the same maker. Anyway, if you can't find anyone in your area let me know. I had mine done at Majestic Turbo here in the Dallas area. Hope I shed a little light on the subject for you. What I wrote is very simple and I was hoping one of the Turbo guru's out there would chime in and be more specific about what you need. Also When I get a chance I'll send you a couple of pics of my turbo just so you can see what it looks like compared to yours.

Cody

Thanks for the info. I read Max Boost awhile back. Just don't know what all the t-3 or 4 mean. I do remember Corky talking about larger turbo running alot cooler. Just didn't put it together at the time since I wasn't thinking about an upgrade.

I will call up a few places and see what they reccomend if and when my turbo does truly die. Heck she is running alot better since I redialed in my AFM. Hope more improvement with the AFPR I am ordering (should come in next week).

Question; What did you pay for your new turbo from Majestic?