HybridZ

Intake tempretures

Guest Simon

ok here we go,

what are the temp. for the intake air

before and after turbo @ 5psi 10psi 15psi and 20psi

after a good intercooler

any help would be good

The data you are looking for can be calculated using the compressor maps and the intercooler maps. Without disclosing which turbo and which intercooler you are using it is impossible to say. The best way to get what you are looking for is to install thermocouples in your intake before and after the turbo, and after the intercooler, and make the measurements, as calculations will only go so far. In addition, the temperatures are really irrelevant by themselves, whether you detonate depends on how well you control your air/fuel ratio, and what octane fuel you are using.

I recommend you read both these books on turbocharging - Hugh McInnnes "Turbochargers" and Corky Bell "Maximum Boost". They will give you the equations necessary to calculate anything you want.

Originally posted by SleeperZ:

.., read both these books on turbocharging - Hugh McInnnes "Turbochargers" and Corky Bell "Maximum Boost". They will give you the equations necessary to calculate anything you want.

I agree w/Nathan. Once you understand the calculations you will see that your initial questions is a loaded one, in that the intake temps will depend not only the ambient characteristics of the air but also on the efficiencies of your engine (bore/stroke/cyl.heads) but also on the efficiency of your Intercooler & Turbo(s).

Once you understand the math-put it on a spreadsheet in Excel. This way all you have to do is plug in about 8 field inputs & wont have to worry about doing the math yourself.

BTW: it is rather awesome to see the math worked instantaneously (on the computer) when looking at different efficiencies between the engine, turbo & intercooler.

The math can be intimidating at first-just keep at it. I owned Macinnes book for about two years before I understood it....I found that after understanding Camshafts that everything else seemed to fall in line: mathematically speaking of course as an engine normally aspirated or not simply deals w/airflow velocity...it really is that simple (yes you can slap me for saying it is simple malebitchslap.gif ).

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)