HybridZ

Ignition curves

240hoke

For those of you running stand alone engine managment, whats your ignition curve look like? Im setting up my Sds and wondering about what it should be like, the factory manual states that the idle should be 20 + or - 3 degreed advanced but that seem like a bunch, I have trouble getting it to start w/out kicking back on the starter at 10.

Thanks

Here is what I would recommend FOR STARTERS. I emphasize for starters because you will probably end up doing some fine tuning.

In the RPM IGN map, start with 20*btdc initial and ramp it up to about 36* at about 3300RPMs and carry 36* all the way out.

In the MAPRESS/IGN RETARD map, start retarding the timing at about 3psi and approximately 1* for each psi up to 15psi, assuming you have a 2-bar MAP sensor.

That should give you pretty snappy off-idle/low-boost response and about 23* total at full boost.

alright i putt all those values in the computer and got it running fairly well, there was alittle backfiring so it leads me to beleive that i need to adjust the magnet position some. I's still having hte start up problem though, it wants to fire back on the starter and makes a horrible noise somtimes, but once it get turned over its strats up, i need the 500rpm ignition value are 0-5 degreesto start easily. I have another interesting problem, when i let off the throttle or downshift, the engine goes incredibly lean, have any of yall expirienced this, im kinof curious as to what might be causeing it.

the engine goes lean because you have low numbers in your lower man press values. ie. man press -19.9.

did you do as the manual suggests? start the eninge up, set ign rpm at 10 deg. for 500 - 1500 rpm. then adjust the magnet position value until. ah hell here, this is the instructions

Initial Setup - VERY IMPORTANT

This involves calling up the MAGNET POSITION parameter. This step should be performed as soon as the engine is fired up and idling. Ignition timing is meaningless without first setting the MAGNET POSITION parameter properly. Note that MAGNET POSITION and RPM IGN are totally separate parameters.

A value of between 70 and 90 entered should allow the engine to be started. 80 would be a good starting point and is where the system is factory set.

STEP 1. Go to RPM IGNITION 500 and set that value to 10. Also set RPM IGNITION 750 and RPM IGNITION 1000 to a value of 10.

STEP 2. Make sure that all IGN RET/MANPRESS values below boost are 0.

STEP 3. Start the engine and keep it running below 1000 rpm.

STEP 4. Connect a timing light.

STEP 5. Change the MAGNET POSITION value until the timing light reads 10 degrees BTDC.

Once the MAGNET POSITION is set, it does not have to be changed again- it is only to tell the ECU what the "distance" between the MAGNET "A" position and TDC is. Once the above 5 steps are completed, you may enter your desired timing curve

Well i fell like a fool but heres my story. A week ago when i first got the car up and running i checked on the ingnition timing it seemed to be about 10 degree be wanted to jump around. Anyway it had symptoms of being really advanced but i thought it must be somthing else. So i programmed in scotties curve and it immeadiatly started backfiring i guess you would say. So from there i decided to take shane's advice and recheck the timing, this time the timing light showed a timing advance of 40-50 degrees! this was with the SDS programmer maxed out! Anyway, i took the pulley off and checked my magnets, turns out when i made my pattern for the magnets i measured it for the front of the pulley and then flipped it over to putt the magnets in, thus putting my magnet in the opposite order. Dont ask me how it ran and ran pretty good but it did. So its off to the workbench for me hopefully everything will work out now that i know what my problem is.

Aight i got he magnets on and it started up great, this time all the timing matches up and no kicking back on the starter. However even after playing with the Map and fuel values i cant get the lean to go away when i let my foot off the gas, downshifting, shifting, coasting ect.