HybridZ

stock turbo swap?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

im wondering what the 1/4 times would be for my 76 280z if i dropped in a stock 81-83 280zx turbo engine? is it worth doing a stock swap, or should i make some mods before the engine goes in? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 77z/81zxt for daily driver.engine is stock except for 3" exhaust and k&n air filter and slightly larger lucas injectors.it runs low 14s.hardest part was wiring injection.everything else bolted in .best bet is to run sds injection and get rid of old nissan parts

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

I'm looking to do the same project using a 78z/82zxt as my daily driver. I would like to ask you several questionsbefore I proceed.

First, erxactly what additional parts (other than the engine and turbo) will I need to swap? ??ECU, Fuel Pump Relay, etc.??

I'm taking an automatic engine, and putting it into my manual car. I'd like to keep my manual. will I need to make any modifications?

Does the turbo clear the engine compartment well? Some have told me that I'll be taking a wide body motor and putting it into a slim body car, though i can't see a differance. Did you have any problems?

I'm sure I'll have additional questions. May I contact you for your advise?

Thanks

-Tony

Guest livewire23

How about we keep the advice in the thread? I'm also doing the same thing too. ZXT into a 77Z. I havent found a donor engine yet, but im buying an intake manifold and wiring harness off of LEN168.

A lot of these answers have been answered in previous threads, so do some searches. Although I'll try and give you some quick responses.

The engine fits with no complications. A different down pipe is required to hook the exhaust up to the back of the turbo.

You can bolt your manual tranny over to the engine that originally had an auto tranny, just swap the flywheel over to the engine, and bolt everything else up. Pretty easy, swapping trannies with L series engines is generally pretty easy except for a few exceptional trannies, ie the Borg Warner T5 tranny that comes in the 280zx turbo is a bit different, but still can be swapped with some work.

The stock 280z clutch may not be strong enough to hold the added power for a long time, so an upgrade might be something to consider, although you could get away running the stock one for a while if it was in good condition.

If you are swapping into a 280z the stock fuel pump should be able to deal with stock boost, and should have no problem dealing with up to around 9psi or so at which point you need an intercooler.

If you plan on using the stock 280zxT EFI system then get as much as you can. Get the distributor, complete EFI harness, AFM, o2 sensor, head temp sensor, ECU, coil igniter (mounted on coil holder) throttle possition sensor, and optionally the idle control system components. The relays are not important to making the system work, but if you are comfortable with using relays then it might make you feel better that you have them. You do not need to have the EFI system control the fuel pump, you can wire it up to come on when the ignition is on. This will make wiring a little less complicated, and when you decide to upgrade to a different pump you will have less issues.

There are many limitations that come along with the stock efi system, and if you have the money to jump into a stand alone engine management system then this will rid of a lot of head aches in the long run. A lot of us are running on the stock 280zxt EFI and can make over 250hp to the wheels with larger injectors, intercooler, larger fuel pump. When running larger injectors on the stock efi system the car will run pig rich at idle and medium load. This causes bad gas mileage, and a raw fuel smell which is no fun.

If you intend to stick with the stock injectors and run 9psi or less boost then there is no reason for you to go with the stand alone engine management system. This would put you into the low 14's in the 1/4 mile.

75/83zxt here, swap is real, real, real, easy.

if you really want gobs and gobs and power, standalone, everything stock zxt can be used, its just that the downpipe is UGLY, but i used though, i just wish i could have copped on a scottie dp.

Guest livewire23

since i was expecting around 3-5k on the swap anyway, maybe i shoudl just let the current engine on my car run like crap, and Instead drop the money into the new engine.

Standalone EMS

intercooler

bigger injectors

bigger fuel pump

better clutch

custom exhaust

rollcage

5 point harness

four wheel disc brakes

that way I can run a real safe 280 RWHP, and not worry about stock equipment failing on me.

After giving the advice I think I deserve a little advertisement space here. If I'm wrong to do so please flame me :D

Here's my very nice 280zx turbo air flow meter for sale one ebay:

AFM eBay link

And I also have a 280zx turbo computer up for sale as well. Tested, so there is no doubts:

eBay link for 280ZX Turbo ECU

Guest livewire23

bakersfield eh? maybe I'll take that AFM. I can pick it up myself too, no shippin. I'll think about it and then bid... good call pluggin your auctions here. 2thumbs.gif

My question is and this is expressly target to people who have the carbed Z that swaped the turbo motor into.

How can you use the stock gas tank of a carb 240z to accomidate for the efi system since the efi systems pump more gas then the carb Z. This is one of my major conserns with this swap among other things.

Here is one way that works as long as you have a little bit of gas in the tank:

Stankmod.jpg

Drill and tap the drain plug for a 1/4" NPT

You can drop a 75 280z tank in, or feed a small tank that won't get bubbles in it with a low presure pump, then off of that use your high presure pump to feed the engine.

Do the swap with stock turbo ECU & fuel pump, get it running, then do some sort of intercooler. Even a Saab, Starion, or Volvo intercooler is better than none if you can't afford a Spearco or HKS, etc. Once intercooled, you can up the boost a bit safely. DAW