HybridZ

Just a SC quandary...

JoeinCA

Ive been looking at some ways to get some comfortable, and relatively inexpensive power out of my 77 280Z...

I have been considering the eaton M90 SC that is used on the gm 3800 engines. I have compiled a mental list of parts and i was hoping someone could let me know if i am missing anything.

M-90

custom air inlet/outlet

custom mount/move alternator to compressor spot

custom pulley to adapt SC to belt drive, and overdrive it

bigger injectors

Stand alone or adapted fuel system

Headers

intercooler and piping

Is that it? if anyone has some experience with this sort of thing, (more on the fuel system setup than anything) your guidance would be much appreciated...

I'm thinking of mods that i can do once i get to wyotech... or before :-)..

thanks for your time,

Joe

Well, Turbo would be less expensive, but i just prefer superchargers over turbos. I also am developing great respect for my father's 99 Riviera, it is quiet, smooth, and pretty fast for a production car, i know putting the same SC setup on my Z won't make it much more like the Riv, but i can dream right?

A V8 may also be less expensive, but... i would need to buy a transmission, radiator, ignition, 77 or later motor, smog equipped headers, fab the mounts, upgrade the brakes, reinforce the unibody, and modify the fuel system, oh and the rear diff/half shafts.

Unless the fuel system setup is over $500-600, then it would be cheaper to pick up the m-90 and fuel system and start fabbing the mounts and piping.

I still am not sure what i am going to do with this Z... there are too many options!

thanks for your input,

Joe.

upgrade the brakes, reinforce the unibody, and modify the fuel system, oh and the rear diff/half shafts.
You'll likely need to do all that anyway.

The V8 mounts you can buy, so fabbing isn't an issue.

And you should find out if your SC upgrade will make the smog Nazis happy!!

I second the opinion.....go V8, although your SC plans sound like a fun project.

Tim

Tim240Z,

I agree with you, i will probably have to do all of the upgrades i mentioned anyhow. I was figuring that i might be able to get away without doing those mods, installing the SC, and having some basis to work on when the time comes to do the V8 swap and rework the body/suspension. Though i doubt that the little M90 could feed a V8.

I plan on fabbing my mounts for the V8 conversion when i get to wyotech, and doing all of the suspension, brake, and body reinforcement work in my hot rod and chassis fab courses.

I need to learn patience, and just hold off on modification until i get the V8, i think...

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks John,

Now i have to spens some time on that site...

Does anyone know if it would be possible to utilize the EFI and harness from a GM SC3800 with the straight six... there are probably way to many different variables to get around... but it was just a mild idea..

thanks,

Joe