HybridZ

what car or truck does a 700r trans come in???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

700R4's should show up in 1982 and later GM products. The 1986 model was an improvement over the earlier versions. In 1994 GM came out with an electronic model controlled by computer. Also there was a 200R4 that was produced in the early years which , I understand some people prefer for drag racing. For ease of installation and driving, I prefer the overdrive automatic.

Guest Russ240z

I've been weighing the pros and cons of each transmission should I decide to convert my 240 into a V8 for the street. Is 100.00 a realistic price for a junkyard 700r? What have others paid for theirs?

Guest Anonymous

$300.00 for a junk yard special in Lane County ,Oregon. $100.00 to 200.00 from a private party. (The economy is getting worse here and we have ran out of trees for the big companies to squander and the US Forest Service to mismanage)I am waiting for the price to go under $100.00

Russ I`ve got 2 700r4`s in my garage in Oh, If 125.00 sounds good I can bring one back with me next weekend,If you have`nt made a decision yet just let me know. I plan on going back and forth quite often, icon_smile.gif It`s an option if you can`t get a deal around here

Guest Russ240z

Thanks for the offer Denny. Right now I'm still on the fence so I'll pass for the time being. Most likely I will sell the 260 and energize my operating capital for the 240 street project. My wife didn't think it was funny when I told her the 240 I bought a couple of weeks ago was our 10th anniversary present! Where does everyone get the money?!?! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Hi Russ,

The 700R4 is a great trans.

I spent something like $1000.00 on mine.

I tad much but built for racing buy a guy that worked for B+M.

I had a post in the driveline area and posted a bunch of links for 700R4 trans's.

Go through them and check them out.

It explanes about all the mods for the 700R4.

Dave

I had a 700R4 in my 260 until I put the Edelbrock Performer RPM package on my engine. Now, I can rip out a stock 700R4 in about 20 miles. I have had to order the Raptor 700R4 for about $1700.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm

I am putting out around 400hp and loads of torque. The stock 700R4 just wouldn't hold. Also, if you get a 700R4 you may need a stall converter. Ask around. Most guys here feel it is a necessity.

Guest Locutus

You can buy beefed up 700r4's from summit and jegs and several other places for around 1000 new. A junk yard one is a good deal only for a mild beast. Stock 700r4s are pretty strong for daily driving but if you abuse it, its going to die frequently and rebuilds at 4 - 5 hundred get expensive fast. Consider your options first.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I'm running a 700r4 behind a 462 chebbie, probably around 325 horse and 475 footpounds.

second gear is a little marginal. You need the updates to drive it hard, but I guess I'd think a stock 700r4 would work pretty well in a lightweight z with 7 inch rear wheels. Also, as they pointed out, there are some fairly straight forward mods you can do to them to make them a lot tougher. new pump, better converter, sprag, etc.

The stock, everyday converters suck for the 700r4. there are some aftermarket ones really cheap that seem to work fine.

-doug miller

Guest Anonymous

Intermediate Sprag is the weak point like a TH-350. Definently gonna need some work with any decent amount of power. I've gone through 4 700's in my 70 El Camino from stock to "It'll live behind a smallblock for sure" and I've hurt them all... I have gone to a Walnut Creek Transmissions and had a fully custom 700r4 built with basically all the good stuff in it and it has lived through 12.80's on slicks several times with no problems and I drive it to the track. The jey to performance is spending the dough for a trick converter. Emerald Torque converters is actually part of W.C. Trans and they build custom converters. I have a non lock up 4000rpm converter behind a 480hp 480trq. 388 sbc and I drive the car daily. Even against all odds my trans has yet to run over 180 and usually never runs above 160. I have a Griffin Alum. radiator with integral trans cooler and thats it. The secret with having a hi stall converter on the street is to run the converter tolerances very tight and spend time coming up with a high stator ratio to multiply torque below the stall speed. I had a 2500 lock up in the old trans and the converter alone felt like an additional 40ft. lbs. at the wheels. I won't go too into detail on stator ratios and vane clearance and leave that to the experts. If you would like to speak with someone in person on the phone call Walnut Creek Trans, 925 945 0510 and ask for Jim, tell him Jason from performance plus sent you and you are with Hybidz Website and he will take care of ya! I called him this morning and told him I was gonna post his # and is way cool with answering tech stuff for ya. By the way, Jim road races a 240Z on the weekends and the shop has several big block drag race cars so they are enthusiasts to say the least! I hope that I was able to help and point you in the right direction. I had just about had it with the 700 until I got a real one and a trick converter and now the 4.10's can live on the freeway at 2900 at 75 and make the downshift freeway blast to 125 a very short trip!!! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif