HybridZ

Realistic conversion to 73' 318 into 73' 240z

rayaapp2

A Z-car rearend, if up graded to the later years will hold up quite well to mid 11 second 1/4 mile times w/o breaking. (some go much faster but break parts) I'm speaking of the R-200 differentials found in the 1975 and later cars.

I to was initially looking at narrowing a 9" for the Z, but the cost of narrowing is only the beginning. Got have better gears and a posi and the rear suspension to go with improved rear end also.

I'm thinking if your on a budget and the 318 is from a 73 truck it's not too hopped up - well at least not yet. Likewise a rearend fro a 73 truck w/a 318 my be strong but does it have the right gears and is it a posi, if not get out the checkbook.

I'd say hit a boneyard and grap ALL the rear suspension parts out of a 75 and later Z w/the larger R-200 rearend and go from there.

Remember this advice is worth what you paid for it.

Guest Anonymous

the easiest solution would be to just use the stock datsun R180 rear end. they are a very tough diff and should be good for mid 300HP range as long as you don't slam shift too often on it.

the other alternative is to get a R200 diff out of a 280ZX or late model 280Z 2+2. these are even tougher and some people on this board are/were pushing over 400HP through it.

My problem is with putting a realistic rear end into my 73' 240. I have a low budget. I have the rear end of the dodge truck(where the 318 came from) that I might be able to have cut down to size. I also have a rear end out of a 77'mercury monarck with the same size problem. Does anybody have any simpler less expensive solutions?

ray

rayaapp2@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Check out any rear axle for an early Mustang. I'm doing the opposite (installing a Datsun irs into a '66 coupe) and my 8" axle is 1/2" narrower than the 240/260/280 rear width. This would include such axles as the Versailles, the stock 8" or 9", an Explorer 8.8" or the '57-'58 Ford 9".