HybridZ

Putting a 360 mopar in a 77 280z

Guest Anonymous

Guest GLHS895
However anytime I post anything on this swap it gets deleted.

why? i'd say it's the best V8 swap in the bunch, but thats my opinion and it could be a little 'influenced' 8)

Glenn, those small-block (LA) engines have block mounting pads/mounts far forward on the block, vs sbc that are more mid-block located. Do the Mopar mounts line up with the Z crossmember, and is there a firewall clearance problem? Thanksin advance. DAW

Hi Daw:

I did a trial fit by placing a 2X4 on the cross member and dropping the engine on it to establish pan clearance. The transmission was supported at the rear. Extra clearance would be needed on the steering side for exhaust and things, the engine was shoved to the passenger side as far a possible. The distributor cap was removed for the trial fit. It is necessary to use the Mopar mounts with the Datsun insulators. Tabs are welded to the passenger side mounts and a spacer of square tube stock or angle iron will do, is used to take up the space on the drivers side. This is very similar to the spacer the Chev guys use. The mounts line up very well. Pan clearance is good with the center sump pan

The hood latch has to be notched to fit the distributor cap but does not interfere with its function at all..

The rear transmission mount has to be fabricated and mounted to the tunnel. I saw an excellent one on this sight but am unable to find it again. No other modifications were needed for the tunnel. I used the Z master and slave to drive the clutch with an small aluminum plate attached to the side of the bell housing. The A-Body bell housing has a lower clutch pivot point and clears the floor nicely. Try and get the long tail transmission (E-body) so the shifter comes out in the right spot.. (Does the V10 have the same bolt pattern as the LA motor? Would a T56 fit?)

I made my own Tri-Y headers but block hugger headers should fill the task nicely.

The rest is just the same as everyone else using a V8.

With the 340, dual AFB 4bbl, mild cam, a 4spd and 308 ‘Vette differential I achieved a speed of 150 mph.I only did it once as I found the car unstable. I still had more squeeze in the peddle. I do not have a ¼ mile time.

Cheers…:::Glenn