HybridZ

4L60E shifter/exhaust routing?

jeromio

I guess this is mostly a question for Lonestar1, but anyone who has a electronic A4 might be able to help.

The shifter linkage stuff is really in the way of the exhaust on the driver's side. Not only does the shifter arm point downwards, but the cable bracket is really large and hangs down right where the exhaust needs to go. Routing the 2.5 inch tubing below this mess is not an option - I'd have only an inch of ground clearance.

So, It seems like I can move that bracket so that it's above the pan, instead of below it. I'm then gonna have to really beat the crap out of the tunnel to make room. I had to wack about a 1/2 inch just to let the thing fit in its normal, low position.

Perhaps I could use some other cable arrangment to go with this Camaro shifter? One that doesn't require fat-assed brackets.

Anyone have any ideas? The other downer of all this is that I don't plan on having this A4 in there for very long. I'm gonna put in a T56 as soon as I can afford one...

Hey Jeromio

I took and cut all the down part out of that bracket. About an inch I think, then welded it back together. Then I made a heat sheld that protects that assembly. I also beat the crap out of that side of the tranmission tunnel where the exhaust passes by the shift linkage. I can take pictures if you like.

Pictures would be really helpful, thanks.

Are you running a resonator? I've been looking at the 4 inch diameter ones, Spintech, etc. Wondering if there's room in the tunnel for one. I'll be running 2.5 Y'd to 3 inch. Undecided on muffler, but from all the posts here it seems like a resonator is key for reducing droning.

I wanted to run a mid muffler but could never find one that would fit. To wide or to long. I ran 2 1/4" to the Y and 3" out to back with a Flowmaster Delta series muffler in the standard position. I have a new digital cammera so I'll try to E-mail you some pictures. I know all these little problems are a PITA but the end results are well worth the work. 2thumbs.gif