HybridZ

Welding Aluminized Steel Exhaust Pipes

Ruben

I'm new to welding with a MIG welder and cannot seem to find any definitive answers to my questions.

Here's my situation. I would like to put together my own exhaust system and do all the welding. The mandrel bent pipes are aluminized and I need to know what is the best wire and shielding gas mix to use. Also, do I need to coat the welds afterwards to restore the protection of the aluminized coating?

I currently have a C-25 (75% argon, 25% CO2) gas bottle and E70S-6 wire in sizes .030 and .023. However, I don’t know if any of it will work well with aluminized steel. I have seen on a couple websites the recommendation to use A-675 Airco Wire, but could not find any info on the gas mix.

Any info and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ruben

’72 240Z

Guest Anonymous

Just make sure you run a file or grinder on the edge of the mating surfaces so they're free from the coating. Aluminized is just aluminum sprayed over steel. I welded it like that and no gas even and it worked ok. I suspect you'll be fine. I'd just cut off a few small pieces if you have extra and give it a shot.

Good luck,

Lone

Ps: Oh yeah you'll need to spray the weld with something to slow down rust as the aluminum will be burned back a bit even past the weld.

You won't need to coat the weld if you are going to use the argon shield. argon wol protect the metal from rust. Also, argon will help give the smoother bead with without too much heat. for steel, 75% is good, 90 is for softer metal. Well, That's what I was told.

Guest Anonymous

Not to contradict, but the shielding gas only shields the weld while its being welded, it will assuredly rust if not painted. Two things in this world are certain, metal rusts and concrete cracks. ;)

Regards,

Lone

Ps: IMHO Exhausts can still rust from the inside out, lots of water in emissions these days. smile.gif